Have you ever heard of popcorn chicken before? It is a type of fried food consisting of chopped or minced chicken meat, breaded and deep-fried. It has an appearance, crunchiness, and taste similar to popcorn which gives it its name.
Who made it first?You might wonder where this food came from or who made it first. While there are several claimants to the invention of popcorn chicken, no one knows for sure how long ago people started eating this dish. Australia, one country claiming it invented this dish because Australians created their version called "chicken saltimbocca" in 1978. Other countries have not widely accepted this claim because they believed that the Americans first made this dish. Some people believe that the Americans were the first to create this fried snack because a restaurant called Prince's Hot Chicken Shack in Nashville, Tennessee, served popcorn chicken as early as 1934. However, some other researchers think it was not invented by them and stated that Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC) created and sold popcorn chicken for years before its competitor, even though the former refuses to acknowledge this claim. Regardless of who made it first or how long ago people started eating popcorn chicken, one thing is certain - thousands of people love to eat this crunchy delight every day! Whether you buy it at your favorite fast-food chains such as KFC or McDonalds or make it yourself with any recipe using your oven or deep fryer, popcorn chicken is a dish that everyone can enjoy.
How to make it?If you want to make your own popcorn chicken at home, here are some tips and tricks on how to make it by following this popcorn chicken recipe:
- Use the best quality of meat. To get the most out of your popcorn chicken-making experience, always use meat with high-quality grade A when buying from a supermarket or local butcher. This will ensure that the meat will taste great after being cooked in any way that you like. Remember that when choosing meats for recipes such as this one, it's not just about presentation but also flavor and texture!
- Make sure to cut the meat into even sizes. This way, the meat will cook evenly and make the resulting product more presentable.
- Prepare your batter by mixing flour and spices such as salt and pepper. After that, coat each piece of chicken in this mixture before placing it on a baking sheet. If you want to save time or are afraid that your hands might get messy during the coating process, put all the ingredients into a Ziploc bag, then shake it until each piece is coated with batter.
- Bake or fry your pieces of chicken following the instructions given for their respective cooking methods. For example, if you are using an oven, set it to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (or 176 degrees Celsius) and leave the chicken inside until it turns golden brown. Make sure to check it occasionally, then remove the pieces as soon as they are done cooking. When frying, heat oil in a preheated pan or deep fryer before coating and cooking your chicken.
- Serve with a dipping sauce like barbecue sauce, mayonnaise (for fried chicken only), etc., if desired.