QUICK PICKLED ONIONS RECIPE | BBC GOOD FOOD
These colourful, spiced sweet and sour onions add piquancy to a ploughman’s, or a sharp finish to Mexican food - an ideal edible gift to make ahead and pop in a homemade hamper
Provided by Cassie Best
Categories Side dish
Total Time 20 minutes
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 5 minutes
Yield Makes 500g
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Pour the vinegar into a pan, add the sugar, sea salt, the spices and bay leaf, and bring to a simmer. After 1 min, check that the sugar and salt have dissolved. Remove from the heat.
- Boil the kettle. Put the onion slices in a sieve or colander. Pour over the hot water from the kettle and drain well. When cool enough to handle, pack the onion rings into a 500g sterilised jar (see tip below). Pour over the warm vinegar and seal. Cool, then chill and leave to pickle for 2 hrs. Will keep for 6 months unopened, or 2 weeks in the fridge once opened.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 34 calories, CarbohydrateContent 8 grams carbohydrates, SugarContent 7 grams sugar, SodiumContent 1.5 milligram of sodium
PICKLE RECIPES | BBC GOOD FOOD
Make a jar of tangy pickle by preserving vegetables or fruit in vinegar. Our pickled recipes include piccalilli, courgettes, red cabbage, onions and beetroot.
Provided by Good Food team
Number Of Ingredients 1
More about "pickle onions recipe recipes"
QUICK PICKLED RED ONIONS RECIPE | BON APPéTIT
- Whisk first 3 ingredients and 1 cup water in a small bowl until sugar and salt dissolve. Place onion in a jar; pour vinegar mixture over. Let sit at room temperature for 1 hour. DO AHEAD: Can be made 2 weeks ahead. Cover and chill. Drain onions before using.
DILL PICKLE POTATO SALAD RECIPE: HOW TO MAKE IT
Total Time 40 minutes
Category Lunch, Side Dishes
Calories 415 calories per serving
- Place potatoes in a Dutch oven or large kettle and cover with water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until tender, 20-30 minutes. Drain and cool., Peel and cube potatoes; place in a large bowl. Add eggs, celery, onions and pickles. , In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, pickle juice, mustard, celery seed, salt and pepper until blended. Pour over potato mixture; mix well. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours. If desired, serve in a lettuce-lined bowl and top with pickle slices.
THE ALMOST ORIGINAL BRANSTON PICKLE RECIPE! RECIPE - FOOD.C…
Total Time 2 hours 30 minutes
Calories 583.8 per serving
- Serve with cheese, ploughman's lunches, in sandwiches, with cold cuts and meats. This pickle is also wonderful when added to curries and stews.
EASY PICKLED ONIONS RECIPE | MEXICAN PLEASE
Total Time 10 minutes
Calories 12 kcal per serving
- The pickled onions will have most of their flavor after a few hours of resting in the brine.
BEST SCOTCH EGG RECIPE | JAMIE OLIVER PICNIC RECIPES
Total Time 40 minutes
Calories 613 calories per serving
- Put 8 eggs into a pan of cold water and bring to the boil. Boil for 3 to 4 minutes, then transfer to a bowl of cold water. Once cooled, carefully peel them.
- Squeeze the sausages out of their skins and into a bowl.
- Pick and finely chop the herb leaves, add to the sausage meat along with a good grating of nutmeg, the mustard and a good pinch of sea salt and black pepper. Give it all a good mix together then divide into 8 balls.
- Have 3 plates ready - one with a small handful of flour, one with the two remaining eggs (beat them together first), and a third with the breadcrumbs.
- Start by flouring your hands, then in the palm of one hand, flatten one of the sausage balls into an oval-shaped pattie.
- Roll a peeled egg in flour, then pop it in the middle of the patty Gently shape the meat evenly around the egg, moulding it with your hands until sealed.
- Roll the meat-wrapped egg in the flour, shake off any excess, then dip into the beaten egg, followed by the breadcrumbs. Roll in the egg and breadcrumbs again for a really good coating.
- Heat the oil in a deep pan or deep fat fryer to about 150ºC/300ºF. If you have a cooking thermometer it’s a good idea to use it. Otherwise, test if the oil is hot enough by adding a piece of raw potato and leaving it for about 1 minute – if it sizzles and browns, it’s ready.
- Carefully lower the eggs into the pan and cook for 4 minutes, or until golden, turning them every so often. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper (if you’re worried about the meat being under-cooked, deep-fry the scotch eggs until they’re golden and crispy, then pop them in a hot oven for a couple of minutes.)
- Cool the Scotch eggs slightly, then arrange on board with a good piece of Scottish Cheddar, some pickle and a few pickled onions. Heaven.
PICKLED ONIONS RECIPE - BBC FOOD
- Store in a cool, dark, dry place for up to a year. Keep in the fridge once opened and use within 8 weeks.
PICKLED ONIONS RECIPE | BOBBY FLAY | FOOD NETWORK
- Saute the onions over low heat in 1 tablespoon of olive oil until soft. Place the vinegar, 1/4 cup of olive oil, sugar, peppercorns and thyme in a large noncorrosive saucepan and bring to a boil. Add the onions to the hot liquid and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and allow the onions to steep for at least 2 hours or overnight. (if storing overnight, place in a bowl and cover.) When ready to serve, drain the liquid and top with thyme.
PICKLED CUCUMBERS RECIPE | HOW TO PICKLE CUCUMBERS RECIPE ...
Total Time 5 hours 20 minutes
- In a small pot over medium heat, combine white vinegar, sugar, allspice and salt. Stir well until the liquid is simmering and the sugar has completely dissolved. Pour pickling liquid over red onion and cucumbers and stir to ensure everything is evenly coated. Allow to cool to room temperature, then cover with plastic wrap (press the plastic wrap down onto the cucumbers so there is no air) and refrigerate. Chill for at least 4 hours to cool completely before serving.
HOW TO PICKLE ONIONS - PICKLED ONIONS RECIPE - SARSON'S
TRADITIONAL ENGLISH PICKLED ONIONS RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
SWEET PICKLE RELISH RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
QUICK-PICKLED ONIONS RECIPE - COOKIE AND KATE
PICKLED ONIONS RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
HOW TO PICKLE ONIONS (AND HOW TO EAT 'EM) | TASTE OF HOME
BASIC PICKLE BRINE RECIPE | SOUTHERN LIVING
BASIC PICKLE BRINE RECIPE | SOUTHERN LIVING
EASY PICKLED ONIONS | RED PICKLED ONIONS RECIPE | SHARE…
PICKLED RED ONIONS - RECIPES BY LOVE AND LEMONS
HAM PICKLE ROLL UPS RECIPE (EASY, JUST 10 MINUTES ...
BASIC QUICK PICKLE BRINE RECIPE | EPICURIOUS
GREEN TOMATO PICKLE - RECIPES - ABC RADIO
QUICK PICKLED RED ONIONS - GIMME SOME OVEN
HOMEMADE FERMENTED PICKLE RECIPE | THE PRAIRIE HOMESTEAD
DILL PICKLE PASTA SALAD - SPEND WITH PENNIES
PICKLED RED ONIONS (NO SUGAR) - HEALTHY RECIPES BLOG
SWEET CUCUMBER RELISH RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
EASY HOMEMADE PICKLES RECIPE - COOKIE AND KATE
PULAO RECIPE | VEG PULAO (EASY ONE ... - DASSANA'S VEG RECIPES