GIGANTE BEANS RECIPE | EPICURIOUS
These large white beans (_gigantes_ means "giant" in Greek) are a classic ingredient in Greek cooking. Timing note: The beans need to soak overnight, so plan accordingly.
Provided by Michael Symon
Total Time 15 hours (includes soaking time)
Cook Time 35 minutes
Yield Makes 12 servings
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Place beans in large bowl. Pour enough water over to cover beans by 3 inches; let soak overnight. Drain beans; set aside.
- Heat olive oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add chopped onions and garlic and sauté until onions are golden brown, 6 to 7 minutes. Add beans, 8 cups chicken broth, tomatoes with juice, vinegar, ouzo, oregano, and crushed red pepper to pot; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until beans are tender, adding more broth by cupfuls to keep beans submerged and stirring occasionally, 2 to 3 hours, depending on freshness of beans. If necessary, uncover and cook beans until tomato mixture thickens and liquid is slightly reduced, 10 to 15 minutes. Season beans to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. DO AHEAD: beans can be made up to 1 day ahead. Cool slightly. Chill uncovered until cold, then cover and keep chilled. Rewarm beans before continuing, adding more chicken broth by 1/2 cupfuls if beans are dry.
- Stir chopped fresh dill into beans. Serve with octopus .
GIGANTES (GREEK LIMA BEANS) RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
This is a family recipe. In Greek, it's called 'Gigantes' which translates as 'Giants.' Try to find the largest dried lima beans possible. My aunt adds small canned sausages, but I prefer this meatless. Serve with feta cheese and a crusty bread. You can also substitute 2 teaspoons parsley for the dill if you prefer.
Provided by stamarex
Total Time 10 minutes
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 1 hours 50 minutes
Yield 8 servings
Number Of Ingredients 6
- Place the lima beans in a large saucepan. Pour enough water to fill to 2 inches above top of the beans. Allow to soak overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Place the saucepan over medium heat; bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 20 minutes; drain. Pour the beans into a 9 x 13 baking dish. Add the tomatoes, olive oil, garlic, salt, and dill; stir.
- Bake in preheated oven for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally and adding water if the mixture appears dry.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 448.7 calories, CarbohydrateContent 40.4 g, FatContent 27.5 g, FiberContent 11.8 g, ProteinContent 13 g, SaturatedFatContent 3.8 g, SodiumContent 171 mg, SugarContent 7.4 g
More about "gigantes beans buy recipes"
GIGANTE BEANS RECIPE | MARTHA STEWART
Total Time 2 hours 45 minutes
Category Salad Recipes
Calories 182 g per serving
- Add beans and thyme to vegetables and cook for 10 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Cool. Toss with parsley just before serving.
GIGANTES RECIPE | GOURMET TRAVELLER RECIPE | GOURMET TRAVELLER
- Sprinkle with parsley, and serve hot.
GIGANTES PLAKI RECIPE - OLIVEMAGAZINE
Total Time 50 minutes
Calories 276 calories per serving
- Top with crumbled feta and chopped parsley, and serve with toasted sourdough, if you like. Make your own sourdough with our step-by-step guide here.
10 BEST GIGANTE BEANS RECIPES | YUMMLY
GIGANTES PLAKI RECIPE (GIGANDES GREEK BAKED 'GIANT' BEANS ...
SLOW COOKER GIGANTE (WHITE) BEANS | ALEXANDRA'S KITCHEN
GREEK GIGANTES RECIPE - THE WANDERLUST KITCHEN
GREEK BAKED BEANS GIGANTES PLAKI RECIPE
GIGANTE BEANS - WOODLANDFOODS
GIGANTES BEANS RECIPE - JOANNE WEIR
GIGANTES PLAKI / BAKED GIANT BEANS | THE GREEK VEGAN
GIGANTE BEANS : SUBSTITUTES, INGREDIENTS, EQUIVALENTS ...
GIGANTES PLAKI - TENDER GREEK ROASTED BEANS IN TOMATO SAUCE
GIGANTES RECIPE | BOBBY FLAY | FOOD NETWORK
GIGANTE BEANS - WOODLANDFOODS
TASTY GREEK WHITE BEANS | AROSIS DRY GIANT BEANS
GIGANTES--WHERE TO BUY? - MARKETS - WHERE TO BUY - CHOWHOUND
GREEK GIGANTES BEANS, GIANT BEANS IN ONION & TOMATO SAUCE ...
GIGANTES PLAKI (GIANT GREEK BEANS) IN TOMATO SAUCE ...