SMOKED HAM RECIPE | MEATEATER COOK
Skip the deli section at the grocery store and make your own sandwich meat instead. This ham is brined to keep the meat juicy, then smoked and finished with a sweet mustard glaze for tons of flavor. It’s excellent served hot or cold and it freezes well, too. This recipe is versatile enough to work...
Provided by Danielle Prewett
Number Of Ingredients 19
- Prepare the brine. Blend half the water (12 cups), kosher salt, sugar, pink salt, peppercorns, bay leaves, and mustard seeds together in a large stockpot. Bring to a gentle boil and stir until the salt and sugar have dissolved. Remove from heat and let it cool. Stir in the remaining 12 cups of cold water. You can add some ice to speed up the cooling process. The brine needs to be completely cool before adding the meat.
- Prepare the meat. While the brine is cooling, prepare the ham. Use a sharp boning knife to remove the shank and femur. The shank has more connective tissue and takes almost twice as long to break down as the rest of the meat. Reserve it for another cooking application. Removing the femur is optional. Keep in mind that the meat cooks quicker, more evenly, and is easier to slice when boneless. Trim any tough outer silverskin but keep the fat on. Don’t cut away too much tissue or the muscles won’t stay intact. Use kitchen twine to truss the ham into an even, round piece of meat if desired.
- Submerge the hog ham or hams in the brine and refrigerate for 3-5 days, or about 8-12 hours for every pound.
- Prepare your smoker according to manufacturer’s instructions using your choice of wood: hickory, apple, or cherry. Set the temperature to about 180 degrees.
- Remove the meat from the brine and rinse very well with cold water. Pat dry with paper towels and set it on the top rack of the smoker if possible. Have a small bowl or tray of foil filled with water sitting on the bottom rack directly underneath to release steam.
- While the ham is smoking, prepare the glaze. In a small bowl, stir the mustard, vinegar, honey, and pepper together until smooth.
- About 2 hours into the smoking process, and every hour after, lightly baste the ham with the glaze. Smoke the ham until it reaches 160 degrees internally in the thickest part of the meat. If smoking a venison ham, smoke to 150 degrees. If you find that the meat begins to stall, you might need to increase the heat of the smoker to 200 degrees. The total cook time will be anywhere between 8-12 hours, depending on the size of the ham.
- Serve warm or let it cool to room temperature and chill in the refrigerator for 24 hours before eating.
- *Brine the shanks with the rest of the hind quarter and add to the smoker for a few hours. It will absorb plenty of wood-smoked flavor and can then be transferred to a crockpot to finish tenderizing with onions, beans, and greens for a smoked hock stew.
SMOKED TURKEY RECIPE - NO BRINE, JUICY AND DELICIOUS FROM ...
Smoking a turkey on the Traeger is perfect for any time of the year, but it can save much needed space in your oven at the holidays. This recipe turns out perfectly each and every time. No brine, and yields a juicy flavorful turkey in about 3-4 hours.
Provided by Michaela Kenkel
Total Time 3 hours 35 minutes
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 3 hours 30 minutes
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Preheat Traeger grill to 250 degrees.
- Rinse turkey inside and out in cool water, pat dry.
- Place turkey on a rack in a roasting pan.
- Melt 1 stick of butter in a bowl, then add in all of the spices/seasonings, whisk together.
- Rub the turkey all over with the butter mix, inside and out, and get it under the skin, too.
- Place the turkey in the roaster, UNCOVERED on the grill and close the lid. Set a timer for 2 hours. Do NOT open the lid during this time.
- When the timer goes off, add the second stick of butter to the bottom of the roaster, and cover the turkey.
- Turn the temperature up to 325 degrees, and roast for another 90 minutes. Check the internal temperature in the thickest part of the breast, it will reach 165 degrees when it's done. If it hasn't reached that after 90 minutes, cover and continue roasting, checking every 20-30 minutes until it does.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 921 calories, CarbohydrateContent 1 grams carbohydrates, CholesterolContent 513 milligrams cholesterol, FatContent 41 grams fat, FiberContent 0 grams fiber, ProteinContent 130 grams protein, SaturatedFatContent 14 grams saturated fat, ServingSize 1, SodiumContent 734 grams sodium, SugarContent 0 grams sugar, TransFatContent 1 grams trans fat, UnsaturatedFatContent 24 grams unsaturated fat
More about "smoked ham brine recipe recipes"
HOW TO MAKE A SMOKED TURKEY BREAST BRINE RECIPE
Total Time 8 hours 20 minutes
Calories 736 calories per serving
- Remove cooked turkey breast, cover loosely with aluminum foil, and let stand 10 to 15 minutes before slicing.
HONEY GLAZED DOUBLE SMOKED HAM - LEARN TO SMOKE MEAT WITH ...
Cuisine Hot Smoking
- Remove the ham from the pan onto a serving platter and call dinner.
THE ULTIMATE DOUBLE SMOKED HAM RECIPE ELEVATES ANY HOLIDAY
SMOKED HAM RECIPE - FABULOUS FLAVOR - LEARN TO SMOKE MEAT ...
HOW TO MAKE DRY BRINE SMOKED SALMON; EASY RECIPE - JETT'S ...
HOW TO MAKE A CURED SMOKED HAM FROM SCRATCH
SMOKED HAM HOCKS RECIPE | MYRECIPES
HONEY GLAZED SMOKED HAM RECIPE - HANK SHAW'S WILD FOOD RECIPES
SMOKED FOOD RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
HOW TO COOK A SMOKED HAM - EVERYDAYMAVEN™
HOW TO COOK A SMOKED HAM - EVERYDAYMAVEN™
SMOKED HAM WITH BROWN SUGAR GLAZE RECIPE - VINDULGE
HOW TO MAKE HAM - SMOKED & CURED | MISTY GULLY
CURING HAM AND HOME HAM CURING RECIPES - DRY, SALT BRINE ...
SMOKED TURKEY BREAST WITHOUT BRINE (TRAEGER PELLET GRILL ...
SMOKED TURKEY BREAST RECIPE | MYRECIPES
PRIME RIB ROAST BRINE RECIPE - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT ...
HOME CURED HAM: HOW TO BRINE A HAM - A FARMISH KIND OF LIFE
HOW TO DOUBLE SMOKED SPIRAL HAM [THE EASY WAY]
BBQ RECIPES ARCHIVES - HOWTOBBBQRIGHT
SMOKED BONELESS TURKEY BREAST RECIPE - SMOKED WILD TURKEY ...
TURKEY BRINE RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
NEW! SMOKED TURKEY RECIPE [WHOLE BIRD + TRAEGER VIDEO ...
EASY MASTERBUILT SMOKER WHOLE SMOKED TURKEY RECIPE
DOUBLE SMOKED HAM WITH CHERRY BOURBON GLAZE VINDULGE
WET CURED SMOKED BACON RECIPE | BRADLEY SMOKERS | ELECTRIC ...
HOW TO COOK SMOKED PORK CHOPS THAT IS ... - RECIPES FOR DADS
SMOKED “BONE IN” PRIME RIB ROAST RECIPE - LANG BBQ SMOKERS