THE BLUE MILL TAVERN LOOSEMEAT SANDWICH RECIPE - FOOD.COM
I've chosen to submit this recipe because the recipes found on this website for loosemeats, and on other websites, are not the original recipe. The loosemeat was created in 1924 at Ye Old Tavern-now Gus' Family Restaurant on 14th and Jackson St. in Sioux City, Iowa. Nowadays you will find the original sandwich served at Bob's Drive Inn on Hwy 75, LeMars, Iowa just a mile or so out of Sioux City, at The Tastee Inn and Out, on Gordon Drive and at Miles Inn on Leech Ave. among others. If you see a recipe for loosemeats that contains tomato juice-run! A loosemeat is a sloppy joe without the slop-so stay away from anything tomato-ey please! These little sandwiches are great for football parties, slumber parties, with a cold beer on a sunny summer day, or just anytime you want a real taste of Americana cooking that takes just a few minutes with very little cleanup. These are typical Iowa tavern fare. I loved these sandwiches so much when I was a kid and one day I ran into my Grandma's tavern and asked for my usual "tavern". They always came served with a thin sheet of restaurant paper under them. I was so eager I ate my sandwich half way gone before I realized I was eating the paper too:-) After cooking these in the kitchen they were transferred to a portable steamer. This is the original recipe for the little dudes that were served in the Midwest. I cannot account for changes or differences in flavor for other regions of the country, east or west. I learned to make my Grandma's version when I came to spend summers with her in Sioux City between 1958-65. She's the reason I've become a diehard foodie, a "from scratch" cook. My Grandma was a fearless woman who wasn't afraid to tread in unfamiliar waters. In so many ways food brings people together. I had no idea these little sandwiches would be so loved and bring such happiness to people. I've been so touched by the messages I've received from folks who've tried this recipe and then shared their memories w/me! Thanks!! And thank you Recipezaar for creating a place for us to come together and share with each other!
Total Time 30 minutes
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Yield 4-5 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Get out a cast iron skillet-they are the best for loosemeats-or other kind if you have no iron skillet.
- Melt fat over medium heat and lightly salt bottom of skillet.
- Break ground beef up in skillet and start crumbling it with the back of a wooden spoon-this is very important-the meat must end up being cooked up into small crumbles.
- Add chopped onion while browning meat.
- Keep working with the back of spoon to break up meat.
- When meat is browned, drain off any fat and return meat to skillet.
- Add mustard, vinegar, sugar, and just enough water to barely cover meat in the pan.
- Cook, at a simmer, till water is all cooked out-between 15-20 minutes.
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat your hamburger buns-they're traditionally steamed for loosemeats-I like mine toasted lightly-do it the way you like it.
- When buns are warm, put yellow mustard on them and add some dill pickle slices-I put on lots!
- *If you start changing this recipe and using things like olive oil for the fat and Dijon or honey mustard for the yellow mustard, you will not get the traditional yummy taste of a loosemeat sandwich.
- Likewise, don't add any liquid smoke or Worcestershire sauce.
- Make them just like this the first time so you can sample the simplicity of this famous Midwestern treat.
- If you want to start making changes after that by all means do so but I'd like you to taste the original recipe at least once.
- Serve with homemade potato salad and chips or with my Easy Cheesy Potato recipe.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 313.8, FatContent 22.7, SaturatedFatContent 9, CholesterolContent 81.3, SodiumContent 1271.2, CarbohydrateContent 5.9, FiberContent 0.6, SugarContent 4.3, ProteinContent 20.2
CREAMY HORSERADISH SAUCE RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
This is a delicious, simple, fast sauce. Best for beef roasts. Fabulous on tenderloin roast!
Provided by Jandeebee
Total Time 20 minutes
Prep Time 5 minutes
Yield 2 cups
Number Of Ingredients 4
- Whisk sour cream, prepared horseradish, salt, and pepper together in a bowl. Refrigerate until chilled, about 15 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 41.2 calories, CarbohydrateContent 1.4 g, CholesterolContent 7.9 mg, FatContent 3.8 g, FiberContent 0.2 g, ProteinContent 0.6 g, SaturatedFatContent 2.4 g, SodiumContent 170.5 mg, SugarContent 0.4 g
More about "tastee sandwich recipe recipes"
LOOSE MEAT ON A BUN, RESTAURANT STYLE RECIPE | ALLRE…
Total Time 1 hours 15 minutes
Category Beef Sandwiches
Calories 340.9 calories per serving
- Crumble the ground beef and onion into a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring to break up lumps, until no longer pink. Drain off the grease and return to the stove. Add the Worcestershire sauce, beef broth, salt, pepper, and butter. Bring to a boil, then set the heat to low and simmer uncovered until the liquid is almost completely gone, about 40 minutes. Remove from the heat, cover, and let rest for 15 minutes before serving on buns.
BEEF TIPS WITH RICE AND GRAVY RECIPE : TASTE OF SOUTHERN
Total Time 1 hours 10 minutes
- Prepare the Rice:
LOOSE MEAT SANDWICH (MAID-RITE COPYCAT) - CULINARY HILL
STEAMED LOOSE MEAT HAMBURGER RECIPE : OPTIMAL RESOLUTION ...
COLCOM - ZIMBABWE’S LEADING PORK PRODUCER, DEDICATED TO ...
RUNZA - WIKIPEDIA
POPEYES - WIKIPEDIA
THE MOST POPULAR REGIONAL FAST FOOD CHAIN IN EVERY STATE
KFC - WIKIPEDIA
TRY THESE 7 CHRISTMAS BREAKFAST AND BRUNCH IDEAS AND RECIPES
HERE ARE 7 MUST-TRY CHRISTMAS BREAKFAST IDEAS TO MAKE YOUR ...
SUBSCRIBE TO QSR - QSR MAGAZINE
OLD RESTAURANTS OF ORANGE COUNTY | ORANGE COUNTY MEMORIES
OFFBEAT L.A.: THE OLDEST SURVIVING LOS ANGELES RESTAURANTS ...
PARKWAY INDEPENDENT ONLINE - SERVING ROCKFORD, MENDON AND ...
MASSAPEQUA MEMORIES - LOVING-LONG-ISLAND.COM
ASK.COM - WHAT'S YOUR QUESTION?
WEB DEVELOPMENT SERVICES - WEB DEVELOPMENT COMPANY | LOGO ...
WEB DEVELOPMENT SERVICES - WEB DEVELOPMENT COMPANY | L…