CHOCOLATE DRIP CAKE RECIPE - BBC GOOD FOOD
This malted drip cake is smothered in cream cheese icing and drizzled with a dark chocolate ganache – a stunning multi-layered centrepiece for a big occasion
Provided by Cassie Best
Categories Afternoon tea, Dessert, Treat
Total Time 3 hours
Prep Time 2 hours
Cook Time 1 hours
Number Of Ingredients 28
- First make the malt sponges. Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Grease and line the bases of 2 x 20cm cake tins with baking parchment. Put the butter and sugar in a large bowl and whisk until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, whisking well between each addition. Tip the flour, malt and baking powder into the bowl with ¼ tsp salt and fold together, then add the yogurt and vanilla, and give everything a final stir. Divide the cake mixture between the 2 tins, level the tops and bake on the middle shelf for 25-30 mins or until a skewer pushed into the centre of the cakes comes out clean. Cool for 10 mins, then remove from the tins, peel off the baking parchment and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Wash the tins.
- Now make the chocolate sponges. Grease and line the base of the tins as before and boil the kettle. In the same bowl (don’t worry about washing it), cream the butter and sugar as before, adding the eggs, one at a time, and mixing until combined. Sift in the flour, cocoa and baking powder with ¼ tsp salt. Fold the mixture together, then add the yogurt, melted chocolate and 100ml boiling water. Stir until combined, then divide between the tins. Bake for 25-30 mins, testing with a skewer as before. Cool in the tins for 10 mins, then turn out, remove the baking parchment and cool completely. The sponges can be made up to 2 days before being iced, cooled and wrapped tightly in cling film.
- Make the honeycomb. Grease a baking tray with a little butter or oil. Put the sugar and golden syrup in a large pan. Warm over a medium heat and leave to bubble to a liquid caramel, but don’t stir. When you’re happy with the colour (the darker it gets, the more intense the flavour will be), add the bicarbonate of soda and quickly stir into the syrup. Before the bubbles die down, pour the foaming mixture onto the baking tray, then set aside for 30 mins to cool and firm up.
- Make the icing. In your largest mixing bowl, beat the butter with half the icing sugar, the malt and vanilla until smooth. Add the remaining icing sugar and the cream cheese, and beat again until well combined – don’t overmix or the icing may become runny.
- You’re now ready to assemble. Put one of the sponges on a cake stand or cake board, sticking it down with a small blob of icing. Use ¼ of the icing to stack the cakes, alternating between the malt and chocolate sponges. Place the final sponge on top, flat-side up. When assembled, use a palette knife to cover the entire cake with a thin layer of the icing, filling any gaps between sponges, but don’t worry about completely covering the sponges at this stage. This is called a crumb coat and ensures that your final layer is crumb-free. Make space in your fridge and chill the cake for 30 mins to firm up the icing.
- Once the icing is chilled, use the remaining icing to completely cover the cake. This is easiest if you pile the icing on top of the cake, then use a palette knife to ease it over the edge and down the sides. You can make it as smooth or as rough as you like. Chill for another 30 mins.
- Make the drizzle. Meanwhile, put the dark chocolate in a bowl and heat the cream in a small pan until just steaming. Pour the cream over the chocolate and leave to melt for 5-10 mins. Stir to make a glossy ganache, then set aside to firm up a little – you want the ganache to be pourable but not too runny, to make drizzly droplets down the side of the cake.
- When the ganache is the correct consistency, remove the cake from the fridge and spoon the ganache over the top edge of the cake, encouraging it to drizzle down the side with your spoon – start at the back of the cake to get the hang of it. Fill in the middle of the top of the cake with chocolate too.
- Break the honeycomb into tall shards and stack them on top of the cake. Finish with whole and halved Maltesers, adding a few around the base, along with some honeycomb crumbs. The cake is best served within 2-3 hrs of assembling, but will still taste delicious for up to 3 days. Store leftovers in the fridge and allow to come back to room temperature before serving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 676 calories, FatContent 35 grams fat, SaturatedFatContent 21 grams saturated fat, CarbohydrateContent 82 grams carbohydrates, SugarContent 66 grams sugar, FiberContent 2 grams fiber, ProteinContent 6 grams protein, SodiumContent 1.1 milligram of sodium
MARY'S CHOCOLATE CAKE WITH WHITE CHOCOLATE ICING RECIPE ...
A moist chocolate cake that really can’t go wrong and keeps well for birthday parties. It has a wonderful white chocolate icing so the contrast looks stunning too.
Provided by Mary Berry
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Yield Serves 8
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Heat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4 and grease and line with greased greaseproof paper the bases of two 20cm/8in straight-sided loose bottomed sandwich tins.
- Sift the dry ingredients into a large bowl and make a well in the centre. Add the syrup, eggs, oil and milk, mix with an electric hand whisk and pour into the tins.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until the cakes springs back when lightly pressed with your fingertips. Turn out on a wire rack, remove the paper and leave to cool.
- For the icing, break the white chocolate into a bowl. Heat the double cream in a pan, until very hot but not boiling and pour the hot cream over the white chocolate to melt it. Stir until melted and set aside to cool.
- Spoon the cream cheese into a bowl then gradually add the white chocolate mixture and stir until combined. Set aside to cool a little, until thick enough to ice.
- Spread half of the icing on one cake, sit the other cake on top and spread the remaining icing on top to give a pretty finish.
More about "chocolate syrup cake icing recipes"
GLUTEN-FREE CHOCOLATE CAKE RECIPE - BBC GOOD FOOD
Total Time 1 hours 20 minutes
Calories 604 calories per serving
- Spread half the icing over the middle of one sponge using a small palette knife. Sandwich the other sponge on top, with the flat bottom-side facing up. Spread the remaining icing around the top and sides of the cake, smoothing over with a palette knife. If you have any icing left, you can pipe some rosettes on top of the cake.
WORLD’S BEST CHOCOLATE CAKE RECIPE - NYT COOKING
Total Time 1 hours 30 minutes
Calories 914 per serving
- Peel the parchment from the cake and discard. Transfer to a serving platter and spread the ganache, if using, on top of the cake. Slice into wedges, divide the cake among plates and, if using, spoon the mascarpone cream alongside. With or without icing, the cake will keep well for 4 to 5 days in an airtight container.
CHOCOLATE GANACHE CAKE RECIPE | INA GARTEN | FOOD NETWORK
Total Time 1 hours 45 minutes
- Place the cake upside down on a wire rack and pour the glaze evenly over the top, making sure to cover the entire cake and sides. You can tilt the rack to smooth the glaze. Decorate with candied violets, if desired, or gently crumble the gold leaf and place it on the center of the cake. Do not refrigerate.
OLD FASHIONED CHOCOLATE CAKE | NIGELLA'S RECIPES | NIGELLA ...
MARY BERRY’S CHOCOLATE CAKE | BAKING RECIPES | GOODTOKNOW
CLASSIC CHOCOLATE CAKE | DONNA HAY
10 BEST SIMPLE CAKE ICING RECIPES - YUMMLY
SOURDOUGH CHOCOLATE CAKE - KING ARTHUR BAKING
CHOCOLATE RECIPES - BBC FOOD
SIMPLE VEGAN CHOCOLATE CAKE | MINIMALIST BAKER RECIPES
CHOCOLATE CAKE - WIKIPEDIA
10 BEST BUNDT CAKE ICING RECIPES - YUMMLY
10 BEST BUNDT CAKE ICING RECIPES - YUMMLY
EASY CHOCOLATE CAKE RECIPE | CHELSEA SUGAR
CHOCOLATE GANACHE ICING RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
25 CHOCOLATE CAKE RECIPES - THE SPRUCE EATS
FOURTEEN LAYER CHOCOLATE CAKE RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
SUGAR COOKIE ICING WITHOUT CORN SYRUP (4 RECIPES) - DESIGN ...
LITTLE LAYER CHOCOLATE CAKE - SOUTHERN LIVING
WHITE CHOCOLATE CAKE - LIV FOR CAKE | CLASSIC CAKE RECIPES ...
70 CHOCOLATE DESSERT RECIPES | MYRECIPES
AMAZING PALEO CHOCOLATE CAKE (GLUTEN-FREE, DAIRY-FREE ...