CHICKEN PAN PIE | ALLRECIPES
I'm making chicken pot pie in a pan, which is usually still called chicken pot pie, but it shouldn't be since it really is a completely different, far superior, species with a much higher crust-to-filling ratio, making it even more savory and deeply delicious.
Provided by Chef John
Total Time 1 hours 25 minutes
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 1 hours 0 minutes
Yield 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 15
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Melt butter in a 12-inch cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add diced onion and salt. Cook, stirring, until onions start to soften, and the edges begin to brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Add chicken, and cook, stirring, until the chicken loses its pink color, and starts to brown in spots, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour over top, then cook and stir for about 2 minutes. Pour in the broth and bring to a simmer, scraping the bottom of the pan with a spatula. Stir in carrots, celery, black pepper, and cayenne.
- Cook the mixture, stirring occasionally, until it's as thick as you want, 5 to 10 minutes. For a thick, sticky filling once baked, reduce until the sauce coats the back of a spoon. For a saucier filling, don't reduce the mixture at all.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the peas and thyme. Taste for seasoning and reserve until needed.
- Roll out pie or pastry dough to form a circle about 14 inches in diameter.
- Fold over 1/2 inch of dough all the way around, and then crimp the edge to make a decorative scalloped design. Cut or punch out a 1-inch hole in the center of the dough.
- Place the pan on top of a sheet pan in case filling bubbles over in the oven. Carefully place the dough over the filling, and adjust until it's centered. Press the crust lightly into the filling. Brush the top with an egg wash if desired.
- Bake in the preheated oven until crust is browned and filling is bubbling, about 40 minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 435.2 calories, CarbohydrateContent 23.1 g, CholesterolContent 123.8 mg, FatContent 26.9 g, FiberContent 2.6 g, ProteinContent 24.2 g, SaturatedFatContent 9.9 g, SodiumContent 945 mg, SugarContent 2.7 g
FOUR-FLAVOR SHEET PAN PIE RECIPE | FOOD NETWORK KITCHEN ...
A clever sheet pan hack gives you quadruple the Thanksgiving pie fun (and saves the time and effort of making four individual pies). Apple, cherry, pumpkin and pecan coexist peacefully in one giant slab that feeds a crowd.
Provided by Food Network Kitchen
Total Time 2 hours 0 minutes
Cook Time 1 hours 0 minutes
Yield 16 to 18 servings
Number Of Ingredients 26
- For the crusts: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Unroll 3 of the pie crusts on a lightly floured work surface. Stack them on top of each other. Roll out the thick, layered dough to a 15-by-21-inch rectangle. Press into a rimmed baking sheet so that the crust comes up the sides and hangs over slightly. This will be the bottom crust. Chill until ready to use, at least 30 minutes.
- Use the remaining crust for the top of the pie. Unroll it on a lightly floured work surface and roll it to a 14-by-18-inch rectangle. Cut the dough in half so you have two 7-by-9-inch pieces. One half will be the top crust for the apple portion of the pie. Cut the other half into 1-inch diagonal strips to use for the lattice on the cherry pie. Place the rectangle and strips on a parchment-lined baking sheet and chill until ready to use.
- For the apple pie: Toss the apples in a medium bowl with the sugar and lemon juice. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the apples and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in the flour, cinnamon and a pinch of salt and cook until thickened, about 1 minute more. Cool completely.
- For the sour cherry pie: Place the cherries in a medium bowl. Whisk 1/4 cup cherry juice with the cornstarch in a small saucepan until completely smooth. Add the remaining cherry juice and sugar and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook, whisking constantly, until thick and glossy, about 30 seconds. Pour the sauce over the cherries and gently fold to combine. Cool completely.
- For the pumpkin pie: Whisk together the pumpkin, evaporated milk, sugar, pumpkin pie spice and the egg and in a medium bowl until smooth. Set aside.
- For the pecan pie: Whisk together the brown sugar, corn syrup, butter, vanilla, eggs and a pinch of salt in a medium bowl until smooth. Fold in the pecans and set aside.
- Once all fillings are made, begin assembling the pie. Remove both baking sheets with dough from the refrigerator.
- Visualize the sheet pan is divided in half lengthwise and then crosswise so you have 4 equal quadrants. Each quadrant will hold a different pie filling. Prick the bottom crust all over with a fork.
- Add the pie fillings in this order: Add the apple pie filling to the upper left quadrant of the crust; spread it to cover a 7-by-9-inch rectangle. Moving counter clockwise, pour the pumpkin filling right under the apple pie filling and spread it the same size as the apple filling. Spread out the cherry filling next to the pumpkin filling. Fill the top right empty space with the pecan filling.
- Cover the apple pie quadrant with the reserved rectangle of dough. Lay the pie strips out diagonally over the cherry pie quadrant. Press any remaining strips of dough around the edge of the pie to thicken the rim. Crimp the edge of the pie, making sure to incorporate and crimp together the dough from the apple quadrant. Brush the edges and the dough on top of the pie with egg and sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Cut decorative slits in the apple pie crust.
- Bake until all pies are set and the crust on the apple pie and cherry pie is golden brown and crisp, 55 minutes to 1 hour 5 minutes.
HOW TO ADAPT BAKING RECIPES FOR DIFFERENT PAN SIZES ...
MAKING SENSE OF PIE PAN SIZES - THE BAKING WIZARD
PUMPKIN PIE | KING ARTHUR BAKING
APPLE PIE | KING ARTHUR BAKING
AMAZON.COM: WILTON 12-CAVITY WHOOPIE PIE BAKING PAN, MAKES ...
CAKE AND BAKING PAN SIZE CONVERSIONS | ALLRECIPES
HOW TO KEEP PIE CRUST FROM STICKING TO THE PAN - BAKING ...
APPLE PIE BAKING TIME AND TEMPERATURE RECIPES
CRUSTLESS LIBBY’S® FAMOUS PUMPKIN PIE | VERY BEST BAKING
THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO PIE PAN SIZES
BAKING PAN SUBSTITUTIONS FOR ANY RECIPE - CRAZY FOR CRUST
PIE RECIPES - DESSERT PIES & MORE | TASTE OF HOME
I MADE PUMPKIN PIE USING 3 CELEBRITY-CHEF RECIPES, AND THE ...
PAR-BAKING A PIE CRUST – PIE PROVISIONS
CLOUDY KITCHEN | A BAKING AND DESSERTS BLOG BY ERIN CLARKSON
PUMPKIN SLAB PIE (FEEDS A CROWD) - SALLY'S BAKING ADDICTION
HOMEMADE BANANA CREAM PIE - SALLY'S BAKING ADDICTION