OSSO BUCO RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
This is a very tender veal dish with a flavorful tomato and herb sauce. It takes a while to prepare, but does not require much attention while cooking.
Provided by Amy Augustyniak
Total Time 2 hours 50 minutes
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 2 hours 30 minutes
Yield 6 to 8 servings
Number Of Ingredients 16
- In a shallow dish, stir together flour, salt, and black pepper. Dredge meat in seasoned flour. In a large skillet, melt butter with oil over medium heat. Brown meat. Remove meat from pan, and set aside.
- Add onion, carrots, celery, and garlic to drippings in pan. Cook and stir for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomato sauce, water, basil, thyme, parsley, and bay leaf. Return meat to pan. Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to simmer. Cover, and cook for 2 1/2 hours.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 251.3 calories, CarbohydrateContent 10.6 g, CholesterolContent 83.2 mg, FatContent 14.5 g, FiberContent 2.2 g, ProteinContent 19.7 g, SaturatedFatContent 5.2 g, SodiumContent 947.9 mg, SugarContent 3.3 g
VEAL OSSO BUCO RECIPE | EPICURIOUS
I open the braising chapter with one of Italy's most renowned braises: osso buco. It's a classic Milanese dish usually made with veal shanks cooked in a rich broth that includes tomato and wine. I salt the meat before cooking it, a technique that tenderizes the veal. The dish is finished with lemon zest and parsley, which stand in for the more common gremolata that often accompanies it, along with saffron risotto. The term ossobuco roughly translates to "hole in the bone" or "pierced bone." I suggest you tie the shanks before cooking them so that they hold together—and don't forget to dig into the bones for the luscious bone marrow.
Provided by Rick Tramonto
Number Of Ingredients 19
- 1. Lay the veal shanks in a shallow baking pan and sprinkle liberally on both sides with salt. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- 2. Rinse the veal shanks of their salt and pat dry with paper towels. Wrap each veal shank once around the circumference so that it holds the bone and meat together in the center. Tie the twine with a good knot. Season the veal shanks with pepper.
- 3. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 4. Heat a large, ovenproof casserole over high heat. Put the oil into the casserole and let it heat.
- 5. Meanwhile, put the flour in a shallow bowl, dredge the veal shanks in it, and pat off the excess. Brown the veal shanks in the hot oil for about 5 minutes on each side, or until browned on all sides. Remove from the pan and set aside. If the oil turns dark during the process, discard it and heat a fresh cup of oil.
- 6. Add the carrots, celery, onion, and garlic to the pan and cook over medium-high heat for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the wine, bring to a boil, and cook for about 2 minutes, or until reduced by half.
- 7. Add the stocks, tomatoes, thyme, rosemary, and bay leaf to the pan. Return the veal shanks to the pan and bring to a boil over high heat. Once the liquid boils, cover, transfer to the oven, and cook for 2 1/2 hours, until the meat is fork tender and falling off the bones.
- 8. Remove the herbs from the braising liquid and discard. Let the veal shanks come to room temperature in the braising liquid. Remove the veal shanks and set aside. Strain the liquid through a fine-mesh sieve or chinois into a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, reduce the heat, and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, or until reduced by a quarter. Using a skimmer or large spoon, skim off any grease or foam that rises to the surface. Return the strained vegetables to the liquid and taste for seasoning.
- 9. To serve, cut and discard the twine, put a single osso buco (veal shank) in a bowl, and ladle about 3/4 cup of the sauce and vegetables over it. (If the sauce and the meat are not still warm, heat them together very gently over low heat for 8 to 10 minutes.)
- 10. Garnish each osso buco with the fresh horseradish, lemon zest, and chopped parsley and season with pepper.
More about "where to buy osso buco recipes"
OSSO BUCO WITH POLENTA RECIPE | ORSARA RECIPES
Total Time 75 minutes
Category Main Course
- Polenta Recipe
OSSO BUCO RECIPE | GIADA DE LAURENTIIS | FOOD NETWORK
TRADITIONAL OSSO BUCO | ALLRECIPES
BEAUTIFULLY CUT VEAL OSSO BUCCO | GRAND WESTERN STEAKS
WHERE CAN I GET OSSO BUCO ON LONG ISLAND? - RESTAURANTS ...
VEAL OSSO BUCO - VINCENT'S MEAT MARKET
OSSO BUCO A LA ROMAGNA | EMERILS.COM
OSSO BUCO - WHERE CAN I FIND THE BEST IN LA? - RESTAURANTS ...
WHERE TO FIND THE BEST OSSO BUCO IN NORTHERN NEW JERSEY ...
AMAZON.COM: OSSO BUCO
VEAL OSSO BUCO - STRAUSS BRANDS
VEAL OSSO BUCO / VEAL SHANKS, HUMANELY-RAISED | SHOP D ...
OSSO BUCO | THE MODERN PROPER
PORK SHANK OSSO BUCCO | BERKSHIRE PORK FOR SALE
OSSO BUCO LOCATIONS NEAR ME + REVIEWS & MENU
THE OSSO GOOD CO. - ORGANIC AND GRASS-FED BONE BROTH AND ...
BEEF OSSO BUCO - FARMISON
OSSO BUCO RECIPE - RECIPE - FINECOOKING
WHERE TO BUY VEAL SHANKS FOR OSSO BUCO? - MARKETS - BOSTON ...
PASTURE RAISED VEAL OSSO BUCCO - PORTER AND YORK