SOUTHERN SWEET POTATO CAKE RECIPE | SOUTHERN LIVING
Southerners love their sweets, and this Southern Sweet Potato Cake is no exception. A sniff of this aromatic cake will transport you right back to Granny's kitchen. This cake is versatile enough to bake during the fall season and all year round. In case you haven't had the chance to try a sweet potato cake, we'll give you our two cents—the taste is similar to a carrot cake, but much more decadent. The cake embraces a mixture of spices that include cinnamon, nutmeg, and ground cloves. The recipe only calls for one cup of mashed sweet potatoes, but if you're in a time crunch, you can substitute a can of sweet potato puree for the real sweet potato.This Southern Sweet Potato Cake is known for its tender, moist texture and its non-intimidating caramel frosting. The rich brown sugar icing does an exceptional job of harnessing the spices to create the ultimate combination of sugar and spice. This treat is certainly a show-stopper and special enough to stand on its own amidst an impressive dessert spread. If you really want to impress Granny and relish in the glory days, bring this dessert to a family holiday gathering. Don't worry, we'll keep the canned sweet potato our little secret.
Provided by Southern Living
Total Time 2 hours 0 minutes
Yield Makes 1 (9-in.) cake (serving size: 1 square)
Number Of Ingredients 19
- Make the Sweet Potato Cake: Preheat oven to 350°F. Beat butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until creamy, about 2 minutes; gradually add sugar, beating well. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add sweet potatoes; beat well.
- Stir together flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, and ground cloves a medium bowl. Add to butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat well after each addition. Stir in chopped pecans. Spoon batter into a greased (with cooking spray) 9-inch square pan. Bake in preheated oven until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Make the Brown Sugar Icing: Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium; add brown sugar. Let come to a boil, stirring constantly. Stir in heavy cream and vanilla; return to a boil. Remove from heat; transfer to a large heatproof bowl, and cool 45 minutes.
- Add powdered sugar to cooled sugar mixture. Beat with an electric mixer on high speed until creamy and icing reaches a spreading consistency, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Spread Brown Sugar Icing over cake. Cut into squares to serve.
BILLIE'S SOUTHERN SWEET POTATO CAKE RECIPE: HOW TO MAKE IT
I made sweet potato cakes for my kids when they were younger and they told me in their little voices, "Mommy, you're the best baker." Little did they know that was Mommy's first attempt at homemade cake! —Billie Williams-Henderson, Bowie, Maryland
Provided by Taste of Home
Total Time 01 hours 05 minutes
Prep Time 25 minutes
Cook Time 40 minutes
Yield 20 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 17
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 13x9-in. baking pan., In a large bowl, beat eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla until well blended. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, spices and salt; gradually beat into egg mixture. Stir in sweet potatoes and walnuts., Transfer to prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 40-45 minutes. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack., In a small bowl, beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla until blended. Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar until smooth. Spread over cooled cake. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 519 calories, FatContent 36g fat (8g saturated fat), CholesterolContent 67mg cholesterol, SodiumContent 276mg sodium, CarbohydrateContent 47g carbohydrate (32g sugars, FiberContent 1g fiber), ProteinContent 5g protein.
More about "southern sweet potato cake recipes"
BEST SOUTHERN SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE WITH PECANS RECIPE ...
SWEETEST SOUTHERN SWEET POTATO PIE RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
Total Time 2 hours 15 minutes
Category Desserts, Pies, Sweet Potato Pie Recipes
Calories 530.1 calories per serving
- Bake in preheated oven until pie is set and crust is browned, 45 to 50 minutes.
SOUTHERN SWEET POTATO BREAD WITH PECANS RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
Category Bread, Quick Bread Recipes
Calories 313.6 calories per serving
- Bake for 70 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow bread to cool in the pan at least 15 minutes before removing. For best flavor, store overnight before serving.
SOUTHERN SWEET POTATO POUND CAKE RECIPE - FOOD.COM
Total Time 1 hours 10 minutes
Calories 414 per serving
- Note: To cook sweet potatoes, peel and quarter potatoes, add to boiling water and simmer, uncovered, until tender, about 20 minutes, depending on size- Drain and mash.
SWEET POTATO CAKE RECIPE | FOOD NETWORK
SOUTHERN SWEET POTATO PIE RECIPE - ADD A PINCH
RECIPES - SWEET POTATO SOUL BY JENNÉ CLAIBORNE
SOUTHERN SWEET POTATO PIE - THE COUNTRY COOK