SALTED CHOCOLATE CHUNK SHORTBREAD COOKIES - NYT COOKING
These wildly popular cookies were developed by Alison Roman for her cookbook, “Dining In: Highly Cookable Recipes.” “I’ve always found chocolate chip cookies to be deeply flawed (to know this about me explains a lot),” she writes. “Too sweet, too soft, or with too much chocolate, there’s a lot of room for improvement, if you ask me. But no one asked me, and rather than do a complete overhaul on the most iconic cookie known to man, I took all my favorite parts and invented something else entirely. Made with lots of salted butter (it has a slightly different flavor and a deeper saltiness than using just salt — I prefer unsalted butter everywhere else but here), the dough has just enough flour to hold it together and the right amount of light brown sugar to suggest a chocolate chip cookie.”
Provided by Alison Roman
Total Time 45 minutes
Yield 24 cookies
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Line two rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper. Using a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or an electric hand mixer, beat the butter, both sugars and vanilla on medium-high till it’s super light and fluffy (3 to 5 minutes for a stand mixer; 6 to 8 for a hand mixer). Using a spatula, scrape down the sides of the bowl and, with the mixer on low, slowly add the flour, followed by the chocolate chunks, and mix just to blend. If necessary, knead the dough with your hands to make sure the flour is totally incorporated. At this point, the dough should be smooth and feel like Play-Doh with no pockets of flour.
- Divide the dough in half, placing each half on a large piece of plastic wrap. Fold the plastic over so that it covers the dough to protect your hands from getting all sticky. Using your hands, form the dough into a log shape; rolling it on the counter will help you smooth it out, but don’t worry about getting it totally perfect. (Don't be afraid to make them compact. Shortbread is supposed to be dense. That's part of why it's so good.) You can also do this using parchment paper, if you prefer, but plastic wrap is easier when it comes to shaping the log. Each half should form a 6-inch log, 2 to 2¼ inches in diameter. Chill until totally firm, about 2 hours.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Brush the outside of the logs with the beaten egg and roll them in the demerara sugar (this is for those really delicious, crisp edges).
- Using a serrated knife, carefully slice each log into ½-inch-thick rounds (if you hit a chocolate chunk, slowly saw back and forth through the chocolate). If the cookies break or fall apart, just press them back together — the dough is very forgiving. Place them on the prepared baking sheets about 1 inch apart (they won’t spread much). Sprinkle with flaky salt. Bake until the edges are just beginning to brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Let cool slightly before eating them all.
Nutrition Facts : @context http//schema.org, Calories 267, UnsaturatedFatContent 6 grams, CarbohydrateContent 21 grams, FatContent 20 grams, FiberContent 1 gram, ProteinContent 2 grams, SaturatedFatContent 12 grams, SodiumContent 135 milligrams, SugarContent 9 grams, TransFatContent 1 gram
SHORTBREAD COOKIES RECIPE | INA GARTEN | FOOD NETWORK
Ina Garten's classic chocolate-dipped Shortbread Cookies are the perfect sweet treat, from Barefoot Contessa on Food Network. With over 500 reviews, they're sure to please.
Provided by Ina Garten
Total Time 1 hours 15 minutes
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Yield 20 cookies
Number Of Ingredients 6
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix together the butter and 1 cup of sugar until they are just combined. Add the vanilla. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour and salt, then add them to the butter-and-sugar mixture. Mix on low speed until the dough starts to come together. Dump onto a surface dusted with flour and shape into a flat disk. Wrap in plastic and chill for 30 minutes.
- Roll the dough 1/2-inch thick and cut with a 3 by 1-inch finger-shaped cutter. Place the cookies on an ungreased baking sheet and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the edges begin to brown. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- When the cookies are cool, place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Put 3 ounces of the chocolate in a glass bowl and microwave on high power for 30 seconds. (Don't trust your microwave timer; time it with your watch.) Stir with a wooden spoon. Continue to heat and stir in 30-second increments until the chocolate is just melted. Add the remaining chocolate and allow it to sit at room temperature, stirring often, until it's completely smooth. Stir vigorously until the chocolate is smooth and slightly cooled; stirring makes it glossier.
- Drizzle 1/2 of each cookie with just enough chocolate to coat it.
More about "shortbread sugar cookies recipes"
SHORTBREAD SUGAR COOKIES WITH ICING RECIPE - FOOD.COM
Total Time 50 minutes
Calories 142.5 per serving
- These are so good -- you should really double the recipe!
SLICE-AND-BAKE SHORTBREAD COOKIES RECIPE | MYRECIPES
Total Time 5 hours 15 minutes
- Coconut-Macadamia Nut Shortbread Cookies: Omit almond extract. Stir in 1 cup toasted coconut, 1/2 cup finely chopped macadamia nuts, and 1/4 tsp. coconut extract with vanilla in Step
SHORTBREAD RECIPES | BBC GOOD FOOD
ALMOND FLOUR KETO SHORTBREAD COOKIES RECIPE | WHOLESOME Y…
WHIPPED SHORTBREAD COOKIES | IMPERIAL SUGAR
LEMON SHORTBREAD COOKIES + 5 MORE MUST BAKE SHORTBREAD R…
CLASSIC SHORTBREAD COOKIES RECIPE - SIMPLY RECIPES
10 BEST ICING FOR SHORTBREAD COOKIES COOKIES RECIPES | YU…
SHORTBREAD, BUTTER COOKIES AND SUGAR COOKIES: WHAT'S THE ...
THUMBPRINT SHORTBREAD COOKIES RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
MARZIPAN SHORTBREAD COOKIES RECIPE - SIMPLYRECIPES.COM
GREEK CHRISTMAS SHORTBREAD COOKIES RECIPE (KOURABIETHE…
MAPLE SHORTBREAD COOKIES RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
ALMOND FLOUR KETO SHORTBREAD COOKIES RECIPE | WHOLESOME YUM
LEMON SHORTBREAD COOKIES + 5 MORE MUST BAKE SHORTBREAD RECIPES
3-INGREDIENT SHORTBREAD COOKIES RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
SHORTBREAD CHRISTMAS COOKIES RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
GREEK CHRISTMAS SHORTBREAD COOKIES ... - REAL GREEK RECIPES
10 BEST SHORTBREAD COOKIES WITH CORNSTARCH RECIPES | YU…
SHORTBREAD COOKIE RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
PECAN SHORTBREAD COOKIES RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
GEMMA'S 3 INGREDIENT SHORTBREAD COOKIES RECIPE (+ …
ALMOND FLOUR SHORTBREAD COOKIES – KALYN'S KITCHEN