CONEY ISLAND SAUCE RECIPE: HOW TO MAKE IT - TASTE OF HOME
Put the ketchup aside! Shirley Heston of Pickerington, Ohio turns ground beef, chopped onion, tomato sauce and chili powder into a zippy topping ideal for hot dogs. Grill two packages of hot dogs at your next barbecue and save the extras for the following dishes.
Provided by Taste of Home
Total Time 30 minutes
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 0 minutes
Yield 8 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 12
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and celery over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, brown sugar, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, mustard and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until sauce is thickened, stirring occasionally., Grill or cook hot dogs according to package directions. Place hot dogs in buns; top with sauce.
Nutrition Facts : Calories , FatContent , CholesterolContent , SodiumContent , CarbohydrateContent , FiberContent , ProteinContent
COPYCAT LAFAYETTE CONEY ISLAND HOT DOG CHILI SAUCE DETROIT ...
If you want a true and authentic Detroit Coney experience, then make this. The authentic D-chili has beef heart in it... it really does make all the difference in the world, ask your local mom & pop butcher to grind it for you.
Total Time 4 hours 15 minutes
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 4 hours
Yield 1/2 gallon, 20 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 16
- In a large preheated pot, add lard (shortening), ground round, and cow heart (hotdogs), and simmer on medium heat until it seperates and browns. This mixture must be stirred regularly and mashed with a potato masher during process to create a kind of rough paste. Drain, but reserve the rendered fat and set aside for next step (yes, authentic Detroit style is kinda greasy).
- In a cast iron skillet on medium-high heat, add the rendered fat. Slowly, add cracker crumbs 1 spoonful at a time, stirring contstantly to make a roux. It should be a paste consistency but still able to flow, so add additional fat (butter or shortening) or more crackers, if needed, and continue stirring until it turns a nice woody brown.
- Add the roux to the meat pot along with chicken stock and simmer for 20 minutes at a slight boil, then add all remaining ingredients, and stir until mixed. Cover the pot and simmer for at least 3-hours (longer the better) stirring occassionally so it doesn't burn on bottom, adding water as necessary for proper consistency.
- Take out 1/3 of the mixture and put it in a blender and puree until smooth, then pour it back into the pot. Continue simmering, uncovered, for another hour, stirring occassionally so it doesn't burn on bottom, adding water if too thick or more roux if too thin, as necessary for proper consistency.
- When putting the sauce on your hot dog, the dogs must be grilled on a griddle or a cast iron skillet on medium low with a small amount of butter and vegetable oil. Constant turning of dogs is a must and they must never split open. You will be looking for a consistant light brown color with a darker line of brown on 2 sides. If dogs are straight they can be rolled back and forth regularily to insure even cooking with a large hamburger flipper. If curved use kitchen tongs and adjust next to the other dogs. NEVER BOIL A HOTDOG!
- Steaming buns is the best way in a home enviorment a chinese steamer basket works well or you can wrap them in paper towells and microwave 3 at a time on high for about 20 seconds. Open bun place dog spread slightly thinned yellow mustard over dog. Cover with Coney sauce then top with onions. Additional mustard may be added, however, cheese or KETCHUP is never allowed; lets leave that to the people in ohio, ok?
Nutrition Facts : Calories 445.1, FatContent 32, SaturatedFatContent 13.9, CholesterolContent 97.3, SodiumContent 929.4, CarbohydrateContent 9.9, FiberContent 1.6, SugarContent 3.3, ProteinContent 28.7
More about "recipe for coney island sauce recipes"
CHILI CONEY DOGS RECIPE: HOW TO MAKE IT
Total Time 04 hours 20 minutes
Calories 371 calories per serving
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink, 6-8 minutes, breaking into crumbles; drain. Stir in tomato sauce, water, Worcestershire sauce, onion and seasonings., Place hot dogs in a 3-qt. slow cooker; top with beef mixture. Cook, covered, on low 4-5 hours or until heated through. Serve on buns with toppings as desired.
SUBWAY CHIPOTLE SOUTHWEST SAUCE RECIPE | TOP SECRET RECIPES
Total Time 15 minutes0S
Calories 96 calories per serving
FLINT'S ORIGINAL CONEY ISLAND RECIPE - FOOD.COM
Total Time 45 minutes
Calories 228.6 per serving
- I also chop the onions using my blender with water.
TOP SECRET RECIPES | BENIHANA DIPPING SAUCES RECIPE
Total Time 5 minutes0S
Calories 10 calories per serving
TOP SECRET RECIPES | MAX AND ERMA'S TORTILLA SOUP
Total Time 25 minutes0S
Calories 460 calories per serving
CONEY ISLAND SAUCE RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
CONEY ISLAND HOT DOG CHILI SAUCE RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
COPYCAT ORIGINAL CONEY ISLAND HOT DOG MEAT CHILI SAUCE RECIPE
CLASSIC CONEY ISLAND HOT DOG SAUCE RECIPE
DETROIT CONEY DOG WITH HOMEMADE CONEY SAUCE - RAMSHACKLE ...
DETROIT CONEY DOG WITH HOMEMADE CONEY SAUCE - RA…
RECIPE ARE PERFECTS – FREE DAILY RECIPES
RECIPE INDEX - BRAND NEW VEGAN - VEGAN RECIPES YOU LOVE
THE NEW YORK HOT DOG RECIPE
SPICES, SEASONING, RECIPE IDEAS & COOKING TIPS - IT'S ...
PIZZA RECIPES - SERIOUS EATS
RECIPE INDEX BY LIST – A COALCRACKER IN THE KITCHEN
CLASSIC CONEY ISLAND HOT DOG SAUCE RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
RECIPE INDEX - BRAND NEW VEGAN - VEGAN RECIPES YOU LOVE
100 GROUND BEEF RECIPES FOR SUMMER - TASTE OF HOME