PORTOBELLO PATTY MELTS RECIPE - NYT COOKING
This is a traditional patty melt in all ways save the fact that the beef has been swapped out for roasted portobello-mushroom caps. It otherwise hews closely to the recipe served at Tiny Naylor’s drive-in restaurant in Los Angeles in the 1950s, and to the ones used in coffee shops and diners across the country. But those mushrooms! Roasted in the oven in a marinade of oil, balsamic vinegar, soy and garlic, they take on immense flavor and density, and provide a terrific foil to the caramelized onions, Swiss cheese and butter-griddled rye bread.
Provided by Sam Sifton
Total Time 1 hours
Yield Serves 4
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Caramelize onions. Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large skillet set over high heat. When it foams, add the onions and sprinkle with salt. Do not stir immediately. Wait 1 minute, then begin to stir frequently over high heat for 5 minutes or so, or until the onions have released some liquid and started to become translucent.
- Reduce the heat to medium, and cook, stirring often, for what will seem like a very long time, until the onions are fully melted and dark golden brown, approximately 30 to 40 minutes. Remove onions, and set them and the skillet aside. (You can caramelize the onions a day ahead of time and reheat slowly when you’re ready to cook.)
- Take a small baking dish, and put into it olive oil, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar and minced clove of garlic. Add portobello caps, then cover with foil, and roast in a 400-degree oven for 30 to 45 minutes, turning once.
- Set the skillet to medium heat, and put four pieces of rye bread into the butter that remains from cooking the onions. Top each piece with a slice of cheese, then two portobello caps, then some of the caramelized onions, and finally another slice of cheese and another slice of rye. Use the spatula to press down on the packages, and after about a minute or so, carefully turn over each patty to begin to brown the other side. (You may need to add the additional butter.) Cook until the cheese is fully melted and the bread is golden brown and crisp on both sides. Slice in half before serving.
Nutrition Facts : @context http//schema.org, Calories 450, UnsaturatedFatContent 11 grams, CarbohydrateContent 27 grams, FatContent 29 grams, FiberContent 6 grams, ProteinContent 24 grams, SaturatedFatContent 16 grams, SodiumContent 807 milligrams, SugarContent 10 grams, TransFatContent 0 grams
PORTOBELLO MELTS RECIPE: HOW TO MAKE IT - TASTE OF HOME
We're always looking for satisfying vegetarian meals, and this one tops the list. These melts are especially delicious in the summer when we have tons of homegrown tomatoes. —Amy Smalley, Morehead, Kentucky
Provided by Taste of Home
Total Time 20 minutes
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Yield 2 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Preheat broiler. Place mushrooms in a shallow bowl. Mix oil, vinegar, salt and dried basil; brush onto both sides of mushrooms. Let stand 5 minutes. Reserve remaining marinade., Place mushrooms on a greased rack of a broiler pan, stem side down. Broil mushrooms 4 in. from heat until tender, 3-4 minutes per side. Top stem sides with tomato and cheese. Broil until cheese is melted, about 1 minute., Place bread on a baking sheet; brush with reserved marinade. Broil 4 in. from heat until lightly toasted, 45-60 seconds. Top with mushrooms. Sprinkle with chopped basil.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 460 calories, FatContent 35g fat (7g saturated fat), CholesterolContent 22mg cholesterol, SodiumContent 934mg sodium, CarbohydrateContent 26g carbohydrate (8g sugars, FiberContent 3g fiber), ProteinContent 12g protein.
More about "portobello patty melt recipes"
DOUBLE-HIGH TURKEY & PORTOBELLO PATTY MELTS | RECIPE ...
- Fry the melts in the skillet over medium heat until golden brown
PORTOBELLO PATTY MELTS RECIPE | REAL SIMPLE
PORTABELLO PATTY MELT - PHILLIPS GOURMET MUSHROOMS
PORTOBELLO & BEEF PATTY MELT RECIPE | EATINGWELL
PORTOBELLO AND BEEF PATTY MELT RECIPE FROM H-E-B
GRILLERS PRIME PORTOBELLO PATTIE MELT RECIPE | FOOD NETWORK
PORTOBELLO PATTY MELTS | SEARCHING4ZEN
ZINC'S PORTOBELLO PATTY MELT - GOODTASTE WITH TANJI
ACE FIT | PORTOBELLO & BEEF PATTY MELT
PORTOBELLO AND BEEF PATTY MELT - DR. ANN WELLNESS
CHEESY PORTOBELLO PATTY WITH CARAMALISED ONION - CLEAN ...
SPINACH PORTABELLA PATTY MELTS | THE TIPTOE FAIRY
MAYBE A PORTOBELLO PATTY MELT FOR DINNER TONIGHT ...
PORTOBELLO PATTY MELTS RECIPE | RECIPE | PATTY MELT ...
PATTY MELTS | WLRN
PORTOBELLO & BEEF PATTY MELT RECIPE | SAY MMM
MUSHROOM MELT RECIPE - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT HEALTHY ...
TOP 10 BEST MELTS RECIPES