STEAMED PORK BUNS (CHAR SIU BAO) RECIPE | MYRECIPES
These buns are a grab-and-go street food in China. They were also popular in our Test Kitchens, where they earned our highest rating. Use a multitray bamboo steamer so you can cook all the buns at one time. To make them up to two months ahead, fill the dough, and freeze unsteamed buns on a tray in the freezer before placing them in a freezer-safe zip-top plastic bag. Steam directly from the freezer for an additional five minutes. This Chinese recipe is proof you don't have to get takeout to enjoy the fine cuisine. Serve these for a meal or as a fantastic appetizer for entertaining.
Provided by Bruce Weinstein and Mark Scarbrough
Yield 10 servings (serving size: 1 bun)
Number Of Ingredients 20
- To prepare the filling, rub five-spice powder evenly over pork. Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Coat the pan with cooking spray. Add pork to pan; cook 18 minutes or until a thermometer registers 155°, turning pork occasionally. Remove pork from pan, and let stand 15 minutes.
- Cut pork crosswise into thin slices; cut slices into thin strips. Place pork in a medium bowl. Add onions and next 7 ingredients (through 1/4 teaspoon salt); stir well to combine. Cover and refrigerate.
- To prepare dough, combine 1 cup warm water, sugar, and yeast in a large bowl; let stand 5 minutes.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Add flour, oil, and 1/4 teaspoon salt to yeast mixture; stir until a soft dough forms. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes). Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in size. (Gently press two fingers into dough. If indentation remains, dough has risen enough.)
- Punch dough down; let rest 5 minutes. Turn dough out onto a clean surface; knead in baking powder. Let dough rest 5 minutes.
- Divide dough into 10 equal portions, forming each into a ball. Working with one dough ball at a time (cover remaining dough balls to keep from drying), roll ball into a 5-inch circle. Place 1/4 cup filling in center of dough circle. Bring up sides to cover filling and meet on top. Pinch and seal closed with a twist. Repeat procedure with remaining dough balls and filling.
- Arrange 5 buns seam side down, 1 inch apart, in each tier of a 2-tiered bamboo steamer. Stack tiers; cover with lid.
- Add water to a large skillet to a depth of 1 inch; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Place steamer in pan; steam 15 minutes or until puffed and set. Cool 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 259 calories, CarbohydrateContent 35.7 g, CholesterolContent 27 mg, FatContent 6.1 g, FiberContent 1.6 g, ProteinContent 14.3 g, SaturatedFatContent 0.9 g, SodiumContent 343 mg
CHINESE PORK BUNS (CHA SIU BAO) RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
- Dissolve 1/4 cup sugar in 1 3/4 cups warm water, and then add the yeast. Let stand for 10 minutes, or until mixture is frothy. Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl. Stir in 2 tablespoons shortening and the yeast mixture; mix well.
- Knead the dough until smooth and elastic. Place the dough in a greased bowl, and cover it with a sheet of cling wrap. Let the dough rise in a warm place for about 2 hours, or until it has tripled in bulk.
- Cut the pork into 2 inch thick strips. Use fork to prick it all over. Marinate for 5 hours in a mixture made with 1 1/2 tablespoons light soy sauce, 1 1/2 tablespoons hoisin sauce, and 1 teaspoon sweet soy sauce. Grill the pork until cooked and charred. Cut roasted port into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Combine 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar, 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce, oyster sauce, and 1 cup water in a saucepan. Bring to the boil. Mix cornstarch with 2 1/2 tablespoons water; add to the saucepan, and stir until thickened. Mix in 2 tablespoons lard or shortening, sesame oil, and white pepper. Cool, and mix in the roasted pork.
- Remove the dough from the bowl, and knead it on a lightly floured surface until it is smooth and elastic. Roll the dough into a long roll, and divide it into 24 pieces. Flatten each piece with the palm of the hand to form a thin circle. The center of the circle should be thicker than the edge. Place one portion of the pork filling in the center of each dough circle. Wrap the dough to enclose the filling. Pinch edges to form the bun. Let the buns stand for 10 minutes.
- Steam buns for 12 minutes. Serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 191.4 calories, CarbohydrateContent 28.3 g, CholesterolContent 11.9 mg, FatContent 5.2 g, FiberContent 1 g, ProteinContent 7.3 g, SaturatedFatContent 1.5 g, SodiumContent 196.3 mg, SugarContent 3.3 g
More about "pork bun nutrition recipes"
STEAMED BARBECUE PORK BUNS | ALLRECIPES
Total Time 3 hours 40 minutes
Category Bread, Yeast Bread Recipes, Rolls and Buns
Calories 149.9 calories per serving
- Bring the water in the Dutch oven to a boil over high heat. Set timer for 10 minutes. Turn off heat and leave buns covered for 15 minutes. Uncover and transfer to plate.
STEAMED PORK BUNS | ALLRECIPES
Total Time 2 hours 0 minutes
Category World Cuisine, Asian, Chinese
Cuisine Asian, Chinese
Calories 692.9 calories per serving
- Place about 8 buns onto the steamer surface and cover with lid. Cook until buns rise and expand, and are spongy to the touch, about 12 minutes. Repeat with remaining buns. Watch the hot steam! Remove buns from steamer surface with tongs carefully to avoid ripping; allow to cool slightly before eating.
SUGARED PORK BUNS RECIPE | MOLLY YEH | FOOD NETWORK
Total Time 7 hours 15 minutes
- Once the buns have risen, pipe a spiral of topping on each bun. Bake until the buns and topping are golden, 20 to 22 minutes. Serve warm.
CALORIES IN PORK BUN - CALORIE, FAT, CARB, FIBER ...
CALORIES IN CHINESE PORK BUN - CALORIE, FAT, CARB, FIBER ...
NIKUMAN / BUTAMAN / PORK BUN RECIPE - DETAILS, CALORIES ...
PORK ON A BUN - MY FOOD AND FAMILY RECIPES
CRISPY PORK BELLY BAO BUNS RECIPE | FOOD NETWORK
STEAMED PORK BUNS NUTRITION FACTS - EAT THIS MUCH
CALORIES IN PORK BUN - CALORIE, FAT, CARB, FIBER ...
NIKUMAN (STEAMED PORK BUNS) ??? • JUST ONE COOKBOOK
CHAR SUI PORK BUNS RECIPE - SHARE-RECIPES.NET
CHINESE STEAMED PORK BUNS (?? - BAOZI) - THE WOKS OF LIFE
BÚN TH?T NU?NG RECIPE (VIETNAMESE GRILLED PORK & RICE NOODLES)
GUA BAO (TAIWANESE PORK BELLY BUNS, ??) - OMNIVORE'S COOKBOOK
BRAISED PORK BELLY BUNS - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT HEALTHY ...
BBQ PORK BUN - BEST BACON WRAPPED HOT DOG RECIPES BACON ...