DADDY EDDIE'S ROAST PORK (PERNIL), PUERTO RICAN-STYLE ...
Pernil is roasted pork shoulder, seasoned to the max. It is served with rice and beans, salad, or sweet plantains.
Provided by Daddy Eddie
Total Time 13 hours 15 minutes
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 4 hours 0 minutes
Yield 8 servings
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Combine olive oil, vinegar, garlic, oregano, salt, and black pepper in a mortar and pestle; mash into a paste.
- Make deep slits into the pork with a small knife. Stuff slits with the paste; rub any remaining paste over the pork.
- Place pork in a plastic roasting bag and put in a roasting pan with a rack. Let marinate in the refrigerator, 8 to 48 hours.
- Take pork out of the refrigerator, uncover, and bring to room temperature, 1 to 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
- Roast pork skin-side down in the preheated oven until golden brown, about 2 hours. Flip pork and continue roasting, skin-side up, until juices run clear and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center reads at least 145 degrees F (63 degrees C), 2 to 4 hours more.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 355 calories, CarbohydrateContent 2.2 g, CholesterolContent 111.6 mg, FatContent 23.7 g, FiberContent 0.7 g, ProteinContent 31.8 g, SaturatedFatContent 6.9 g, SodiumContent 966.2 mg, SugarContent 0.1 g
PERNIL RECIPE - NYT COOKING
This classic Puerto Rican recipe for roast pork makes a festive centerpiece for a Memorial Day feast, a delicious welcome to summer. If you buy a big pork shoulder and take your time, as you should, the classic Puerto Rican pork roast called pernil can take you nearly all day. Yet there are times I feel almost guilty about this dish because the process is beyond easy and incredibly impressive, it feeds as many people as a medium-size ham, and the flavor is unbelievable. When I first learned how to make a classic pernil, about 30 years ago, the only seasonings I used were oregano, garlic and vinegar. But I’ve taken some liberties by adding a little cumin and some chiles. The onion is my addition, too. After all, pork is less flavorful than it used to be.
Provided by Mark Bittman
Total Time 3 hours
Yield At least 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Heat oven to 300 degrees. Score meat’s skin with a sharp knife, making a cross-hatch pattern. Pulse garlic, onion, oregano, cumin, chili, salt and pepper together in a food processor, adding oil in a drizzle and scraping down sides as necessary, until mixture is pasty. (Alternatively, mash ingredients in a mortar and pestle.) Blend in the vinegar.
- Rub this mixture well into pork, getting it into every nook and cranny. Put pork in a roasting pan and film bottom with water. Roast pork for several hours (a 4-pound shoulder may be done in 3 hours), turning every hour or so and adding more water as necessary, until meat is very tender. Finish roasting with the skin side up until crisp, raising heat at end of cooking if necessary.
- Let meat rest for 10 to 15 minutes before cutting it up; meat should be so tender that cutting it into uniform slices is almost impossible; rather, whack it up into chunks. Serve with lime.
Nutrition Facts : @context http//schema.org, Calories 816, UnsaturatedFatContent 36 grams, CarbohydrateContent 6 grams, FatContent 63 grams, FiberContent 2 grams, ProteinContent 54 grams, SaturatedFatContent 20 grams, SodiumContent 1060 milligrams, SugarContent 1 gram
More about "pernil pork recipes"
SPANISH ROASTED PORK (PERNIL) RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
Total Time 6 hours 0 minutes
Category Meat and Poultry, Pork
Calories 362.2 calories per serving
- Increase oven temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Uncover pork and continue roasting until skin is golden brown and crispy, about 2 1/2 hours. Remove from oven and let stand for 10 minutes before carving.
PUERTO RICAN STYLE PERNIL (ROAST PORK) RECIPE - FOOD.COM
Total Time 6 hours 15 minutes
Calories 896.8 per serving
- Make sure all juices run clear before removing from oven.
PERNIL (SLOW-ROASTED PORK) RECIPE | BON APPÉTIT
- Remove chicharrón (crispy skin) and cut or break into smaller pieces. Slice pork and transfer to a platter. Serve with chicharrón and arroz y gandules alongside.
PERNIL RECIPE - NYT COOKING
Total Time 4 hours
Cuisine american, caribbean, cuban, latin american
- Remove from the oven and let rest for 10 to 15 minutes, then transfer to a large cutting board. (For cleaning instructions for the pan, see Notes.) If desired, remove the skin from the roast by slicing it along the underside of the bone with a long, sharp, slender knife. Run the knife underneath the skin starting from the bottom until loosened, then lift the skin from the meat. Use kitchen shears to cut into serving pieces, and let them rest in the warm oven until ready to eat. Trim excess fat from the meat if desired, and slice as desired, in large chunks or slices, to serve.
ROAST PORK (PERNIL) PUERTO RICAN STYLE RECIPE - FOOD.COM
Total Time 4 hours 15 minutes
Calories 960.7 per serving
- Before serving make sure your juices are clear and the skin is nice and hard.
PERNIL AUTHENTIC RECIPE | TASTEATLAS
This recipe was adapted from elboricua.com and describes a classic pernil preparation method. The pork is marinated with a combination of garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, and olive oil, and baked slowly in an oven. By increasing the temperature for the last 15 minutes of baking, the upper layer of skin and fat will become crispy, which is called cuerito. The recipe also suggests an alternative cooking method — grilling the meat in a deep pan covered with foil, which is mostly done during the summer. The meat prepared this way will not have a crispy cover. Leftover meat can be used for pernil tacos, or be stir-fried with some rice and onion.
- Let the meat rest for 20 to 30 minutes before cutting. Remove the cuerito and carve the meat. Cut the cuerito into smaller pieces and put it back on top of the meat. Do not cover the meat because the cueritos will lose their crunchiness.
ROAST PORK SHOULDER - PERNIL ASADO TRADITIONAL RECIPE ...
Total Time 7 hours 0 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Roast the pork fat side up for 1 hour, until lightly browned. Reduce the oven temperature to 300° and roast for 4 hours longer, until the pork is very tender and the fat cap is crispy; transfer to a carving board and let rest for 30 minutes. Chop the fat cap into bite-size pieces. Carve, shred or pull apart the pork and garnish with the crispy cap pieces. Serve with lime wedges.
VENEZUELAN PERNIL - MOMMY'S HOME COOKING - EASY ...
Total Time 690 minutes
Category Main Course
Calories 567 kcal per serving
- Cut meat from the bone. Serve and pan juices.
PERNIL (ROAST PORK SHOULDER) - ANOVA CULINARY
Total Time 24 hours 00 minutes
PERNIL RECIPE | PUERTO RICAN PORK SHOULDER — THE MOM 100
PERNIL - AUTHENTIC PUERTO RICAN SLOW ROASTED PORK ...
ROASTED PORK SHOULDER (PERNIL AL HORNO) RECIPE | TYLER ...
BEST PUERTO RICAN PERNIL RECIPE - THE NOVICE CHEF
HOW TO MAKE AUTHENTIC PERNIL (SPANISH ROASTED PORK SHOULDER)
A PUERTO RICAN PERNIL RECIPE MAKES FOR A STANDOUT ...
FREAKIN RICAN PERNIL RECIPES
IT'S NOT CHRISTMAS UNLESS I'M EATING PUERTO RICAN PERNIL
PERNIL (PUERTO RICAN ROAST PORK) - GYPSYPLATE
PERNIL RECIPE (ROAST PORK SHOULDER) - OLIVIA'S CUISINE