MASTER CHICKEN STOCK AND GRAVY RECIPE - OLIVEMAGAZINE
This super-charged chicken stock makes a rich and flavourful gravy, and is also delicious in soups and risottos
Provided by Adam Bush
Categories Meat and poultry
Total Time 4 hours 30 minutes
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Heat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Tip the chicken wings onto one large or two medium roasting trays, so they’re spaced apart slightly – this will help them crisp up. Drizzle with 1 tbsp of the oil and season with sea salt. Roast for 1 hour 30 minutes until crisp and caramelised.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a large pan over a high heat and tip in the remaining stock ingredients. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until everything is caramelised. Tip in 2.5 litres of cold water and set aside.
- Remove the wings from the oven and add to the stock pan. Use a ladle to scoop some of the water from the pan onto the trays, then return the empty trays to the oven for 5 minutes. Scrape well, then pour the contents into the pan.
- Bring the stock mixture to the boil over a medium heat, then turn down to a simmer and cook for 1 hour 30 minutes. Halfway through, use a potato masher to break up all the veg – this will help you get the maximum flavour from everything in the pan. Use a ladle to skim away any foam and fat from the surface as the stock cooks, and discard this.
- Set a fine-mesh sieve over a large heatproof bowl and ladle in the stock, pushing the veg and chicken against the sieve with the ladle to extract as much liquid as possible. Tip the bones and meat into a bowl and leave to cool – once cooled, you can pick out the meat to use in stews, sandwiches or pies, if you like.
- Tip the strained stock back into the pan and return to a low-medium heat. Simmer for 30 minutes until reduced slightly. Ladle any fat that rises to the surface into a small bowl and set aside. At this stage, the stock can be used to make gravy (or another recipe), or cool and freeze in an airtight container for three months.
- To make gravy, heat 2 tbsp of the reserved chicken fat in a large pan over a medium-high heat. Once hot, sprinkle in the flour and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring continuously. Pour in the madeira and cook for 10 minutes more, then pour in the stock and bring to a simmer. Cook for 15-20 minutes until thickened slightly, then stir in the redcurrant jelly and season. Use straight away or pour into airtight containers, leave to cool and freeze for up to three months.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 133 calories, FatContent 6 grams fat, SaturatedFatContent 1 grams saturated fat, CarbohydrateContent 9 grams carbohydrates, SugarContent 5 grams sugar, FiberContent 0 gram fibre, ProteinContent 3 grams protein, SodiumContent 0 milligram of sodium
BROWNING SAUCE (SUBSTITUTE FOR KITCHEN BOUQUET OR GRAVY ...
I found this recipe on the web and posted it in response to a request. I have not as yet tried it. The recipe did not specify how much beef soup base to use. I'd suggest starting with enough to flavor the 1 cup of water and maybe a tad more.
Total Time 20 minutes
Prep Time 20 minutes
Yield 1 cup
Number Of Ingredients 3
- Be careful while preparing this as it may sputter.
- Add the sugar to a saucepan and heat on a low or medium-low heat until browned, about 5-10 minutes. When the mixture starts to get dark, take it off the heat and carefully add the water (this may sputter and you don't want to get burned).
- Add the beef soup base and put back on a low heat, stirring until the water is all mixed inches
- Cool and store in a disposable container.
- Use a spoonful or two when making gravies, stews, sauces, meatloavs, meatballs, etc.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 387, FatContent 0, SaturatedFatContent 0, CholesterolContent 0, SodiumContent 4.7, CarbohydrateContent 100, FiberContent 0, SugarContent 99.9, ProteinContent 0
10 BEST GRAVY MASTER GRAVY RECIPES | YUMMLY
10 BEST GRAVY MASTER RECIPES | YUMMLY
THE GRAVY MASTER’S GRAVY INSTRUCTIONS | DOREEN'S RECIPES
GRAVY MASTER GRAVY - RECIPES | COOKS.COM
GRAVY MASTER POT ROAST - RECIPES | COOKS.COM
HOW TO MAKE GRAVY: 3 EASY GRAVY RECIPES
WHAT IS GRAVY MASTER? - BLOGGER
33 GRAVY MASTER IDEAS | GRAVY RECIPES, COOKING RECIPES ...
HOW TO MAKE GRAVY: 3 EASY GRAVY RECIPES
HOW TO MAKE TENDER BEEF TIPS AND GRAVY - COPYKAT RECIPES
GRAVY MASTER: SEASONING, BROWNING COOKING, GRILLING
GRAVY RECIPES - HOMEMADE, TURKEY, BASIC & MORE | TASTE OF HOME
HOW TO MAKE GRAVY - BETTYCROCKER.COM - RECIPES & COOKBOOKS
GRAVY RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
QUESTION: IS GRAVY MASTER THE SAME AS KITCHEN BOUQUET ...
GRAVY RECIPE GRAVY MASTER