WHOLEMEAL CHEESE SCONES RECIPE - BBC FOOD
These simple cheese scones are a doddle to make and full of flavour - great for taking on a picnic.
Provided by Paul Hollywood
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Yield Makes about 15 scones
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Pre-heat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Place both flours, baking powder, salt, cheddar and half the parmesan into a large bowl and mix to combine. Add the milk and bring the ingredients together with your hands or a wooden spoon. The mixture will be sticky at this point.
- Tip the mixture onto a lightly floured surface. Fold and knead to form a soft dough.
- Flatten or lightly roll the dough to 2.5cm/1in thick. Dredge a 6cm/2½in cutter in flour to ensure a precise cut and cut out 15 scones. Place them onto the baking tray – you may need to do this in two batches. Brush the tops of the scones with the beaten egg and sprinkle with the remaining parmesan.
- Cook for 15-17 minutes until the scones are risen and golden-brown. Serve warm with butter.
CLASSIC SCONES WITH JAM & CLOTTED CREAM RECIPE - BBC GO…
You can have a batch of scones on the table in 20 minutes with Jane Hornby's storecupboard recipe, perfect for unexpected guests
Provided by Jane Hornby
Categories Afternoon tea, Breakfast, Snack, Treat
Total Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Heat the oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Tip the self-raising flour into a large bowl with ¼ tsp salt and the baking powder, then mix.
- Add the butter, then rub in with your fingers until the mix looks like fine crumbs. Stir in the caster sugar.
- Put the milk into a jug and heat in the microwave for about 30 secs until warm, but not hot. Add the vanilla extract and a squeeze of lemon juice, then set aside for a moment.
- Put a baking tray in the oven. Make a well in the dry mix, then add the liquid and combine it quickly with a cutlery knife – it will seem pretty wet at first.
- Scatter some flour onto the work surface and tip the dough out. Dredge the dough and your hands with a little more flour, then fold the dough over 2-3 times until it’s a little smoother. Pat into a round about 4cm deep. Take a 5cm cutter (smooth-edged cutters tend to cut more cleanly, giving a better rise) and dip it into some flour. Plunge into the dough, then repeat until you have four scones. You may need to press what’s left of the dough back into a round to cut out another four.
- Brush the tops with a beaten egg, then carefully arrange on the hot baking tray. Bake for 10 mins until risen and golden on the top. Eat just warm or cold on the day of baking, generously topped with jam and clotted cream. If freezing, freeze once cool. Defrost, then put in a low oven (about 160C/140C fan/gas 3) for a few minutes to refresh.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 268 calories, FatContent 10 grams fat, SaturatedFatContent 6 grams saturated fat, CarbohydrateContent 41 grams carbohydrates, SugarContent 8 grams sugar, FiberContent 1 grams fiber, ProteinContent 6 grams protein, SodiumContent 0.9 milligram of sodium
More about "how to cook scones recipes"
RAISIN SCONES RECIPE | INA GARTEN | FOOD NETWORK
Total Time 40 minutes
- Brush the scones with the egg wash and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until the outsides are crisp and the insides are done.
MARY BERRY FRUIT SCONES | EASY LOCKDOWN BAKING RECIPE
Preheat the oven to 220°C/Fan 200°C/gas 7.
Lightly grease two baking sheets.
Measure the flour and baking powder into a large bowl, add the butter and rub in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar and the dried fruit.
Break the egg into a measuring jug and beat, then make up to 150ml (¼ pint) with milk. Stir the egg and milk into the flour and mix to a soft but not sticky dough.
Turn out onto a lightly floured work surface, knead lightly and roll out to a 1cm (½in) thickness. Cut into rounds with a fluted 5cm (2in) cutter and place them on the prepared baking sheets. Brush the tops with a little milk.
Bake for about 10 minutes or until pale golden brown. Lift the scones onto a wire rack to cool.
Eat as fresh as possible.
BATCH COOKING RECIPES - BBC GOOD FOOD
PUMPKIN SCONES RECIPE - AUSTRALIAN WOMEN'S WEEKLY FOOD
Total Time 35 minutes
Category Morning tea, Afternoon tea
Cuisine Modern Australian
- Bake scones about 15 minutes.
RICH FRUIT SCONES | RECIPES | DELIA ONLINE
EASY RECIPES & FAMILY AND HEALTH ADVICE YOU CAN TRUST
GRANDMA JOHNSON'S SCONES RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
BUTTERMILK SCONES RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
NATURALLY ELLA RECIPE LIST
BLAND DIET RECIPES | COOK FOR YOUR LIFE
BANANA SPLITS AND DROP SCONES: CLAIRE THOMSON’S BANANA ...
CREAM SCONES RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
BE-RO HOME RECIPES: SCONES, CAKES, PASTRY, PUDDINGS - A ...
EASY VEGAN BAKING RECIPES - OLIVEMAGAZINE