SOUTHERN GREEN BEANS RECIPE : TASTE OF SOUTHERN
Try our step-by-step, photo illustrated recipe for making delicious Southern Green Beans. It's just good old basic Southern Cooking at it's best for a delicious side dish that compliments any meal. Whether you're using home canned beans, fresh, frozen or store bought in the can, it doesn't get much easier than this to place another vegetable on your family table.
Provided by Steve Gordon
Total Time 55 minutes
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 45 minutes
Number Of Ingredients 5
- Pour green beans into a colander to remove any liquid from jar or can.
- Rinse lightly with cool running water, let drain.
- Slice the pork side meat into ½ thick slices.
- Place pork in a sauce pot over medium heat.
- Cook meat until the fat sections appear translucent in color. Remove the meat if desired but leave the rendered fat in the pot to season the beans as they cook.
- Add 2 cups of warm water.
- Add the drained green beans. Add more water if needed to reach about 1 inch over top of beans.
- Add Sugar
- Add Black Pepper
- Add Salt
- Stir well and bring to a low boil. Cover pot, REDUCE heat to medium-low, simmer 30-45 minutes or until done.
- Taste a bean or two to see if they are cooked to your desired tenderness. Add more salt if needed, or more water if needed to finish cooking the beans to your taste preference.
- Remove from heat when done, cover until ready to serve.
- Serve warm and Enjoy.
GREEN BEANS AND POTATOES - TASTE OF SOUTHERN
Easy to follow, step-by-step, photo illustrated instructions on how to make our Southern Green Beans and Potatoes. Printable recipe included.
Provided by Steve Gordon
Total Time 1 hours
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 1 hours 30 minutes
Number Of Ingredients 6
- Wash the potatoes under cool running water. Set aside.
- Place a couple inches of cold water in your sink. Add the green beans.
- Swish the beans around to wash them, removing any leaves or debris.
- Lift the beans out of the wash water. Place in a colander to drain.
- One at a time, snap the ends off the beans, removing any strings as you go.
- Discard the end pieces.
- Snap each bean into bite sized pieces.
- Place the beans in a large stock pot and cover with water by about 3 inches.
- Add the red potatoes. Cut them into quarters if preferred.
- Add the bacon grease.
- Add the sugar.
- Place on stove top over Medium High heat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to Medium and let cook for one hour.
- Add the black pepper.
- Add the salt. Stir well.
- Continue to cook the beans and potatoes until done as desired.
SAFE CANNING RECIPES
CANNING GREEN BEANS: EASY & A PERFECT START FOR NEW CANNERS!
RECIPES WITH GREEN BEANS | TASTE OF HOME
CANNING DRIED BEANS IS THE ULTIMATE QUICK MEAL STARTER ...
ROASTED GREEN BEANS WITH BACON - GIRL GONE GOURMET
10 BEST PINTO BEANS RECIPES | YUMMLY
50+ PRESSURE CANNING RECIPES - PRACTICAL SELF RELIANCE
HOW TO CAN GREEN BEANS TWO DIFFERENT WAYS | BETTER HOMES ...
7 BEST CANNED GREEN BEAN RECIPES - IZZYCOOKING
CANNING BEANS: HOW TO CAN DRY BEANS AT HOME
10 BEST CANNED PINTO BEANS RECIPES | YUMMLY
75 FREE CANNING RECIPES FOR BEGINNING AND VETERAN CANNERS
OLD FASHIONED SOUTHERN STYLE GREEN BEANS FROM LANA’S COOKING
HOW TO FREEZE GREEN BEANS WITHOUT BLANCHING - AN OREGON ...
GREEN TOMATO PICKLES - EASY PICKLED GREEN TOMATO RECIPE ...
GREEN BEANS ALMONDINE - A FAMILY FEAST®
WHAT IS THE SHELF LIFE OF HOME CANNED GOODS? - HEALTHY CANNING