ENGLISH ROSE CAKE RECIPE | BBC GOOD FOOD
A stunning floral layer cake, flavoured with rosewater and layered up with vanilla cream, raspberry icing and crystallised petals
Provided by Cassie Best
Categories Afternoon tea, Dessert
Total Time 1 hours 55 minutes
Prep Time 1 hours 15 minutes
Cook Time 40 minutes
Yield Cuts into 15 slices
Number Of Ingredients 15
- Heat oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3. Grease and line the base and sides of 3 x 20cm round loose-bottomed cake tins with baking parchment. Tip all the ingredients for the cake into a large bowl and beat with an electric whisk until well combined. Divide the mixture between the 3 cake tins and smooth the tops. Bake for 45 mins, swapping the tins halfway through so they cook evenly. Leave to cool for 10 mins in the tins, then remove and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the rose syrup, put the sugar in a pan with 100ml water and heat until the sugar has dissolved. Turn up the heat and bubble for 1-2 mins, then remove from the heat. Add the rose water: start with 1 tsp and taste, as some varieties are much stronger than others – just be careful as the syrup will be really hot. Spoon half the syrup over the 3 sponges and set aside.
- Add 2 tbsp of the syrup to the raspberries and crush them with a fork. Push the raspberries through a sieve into a bowl and discard the seeds. Sift in the icing sugar and mix to a smooth icing. In a second bowl, add another 2 tbsp of the syrup and the vanilla to the cream and whisk until it holds soft peaks. Chill until needed.
- To assemble, place one cake, flat-side up, on a plate or cake stand, and top with half the cream and a third of the remaining raspberries (see tips, below). Sandwich another cake on top and add the remaining cream, another third of the raspberries, then the last cake. Smooth the raspberry icing over the top, letting it drizzle down the sides. To decorate, we used a mixture of rose petal pieces (available from cookshops or online), homemade crystallised rose petals (see step-by-step, above) and the reserved raspberries.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 665 calories, FatContent 33 grams fat, SaturatedFatContent 20 grams saturated fat, CarbohydrateContent 84 grams carbohydrates, SugarContent 58 grams sugar, FiberContent 2 grams fiber, ProteinContent 7 grams protein, SodiumContent 0.7 milligram of sodium
AUNT ROSE'S SORGHUM CAKE RECIPE - FOOD.COM
On vacation in Gatlinburg, I purchased an old timey cookbook called "A Taste Of The Past" by Phyllis Connor. Each recipe has notes about the family history of the recipe. I tried to make this cake where we were staying, without my reading glasses, and accidentally used self-rising flour. Boy oh boy, did it rise! It dripped on the bottom of the oven made lots of smoke. Security men with fire extinguishers came running into our unit since we had thrown open the windows. We had a good laugh, but they just couldn't understand why I would want to bake a cake while on vacation. I just had purchased some locally made sorghum and this recipe jumped out at me since it used sorghum and did not need to be frosted. When made properly, this cake turned out fragrant, moist and delicious. Give it a try... but use all-purpose flour ;)
Total Time 55 minutes
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 45 minutes
Yield 1 cake, 12 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease a 9" x 9" baking pan.
- Cream the sugar and butter together.
- Add sorghum and mix.
- Sift together flour, baking soda and cinnamon in another bowl.
- Stir dry ingredients into the creamed mixture.
- Stir the boiling water into the batter; it will foam up.
- Bake about 45 minutes or until it springs back after being pressed lightly.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 257.8, FatContent 7.9, SaturatedFatContent 4.9, CholesterolContent 20.3, SodiumContent 266.2, CarbohydrateContent 44.9, FiberContent 0.7, SugarContent 27, ProteinContent 2.5
10 BEST ROSE FLAVORED CAKE RECIPES | YUMMLY
ROSE WATER CAKE RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
ROSE CAKE | GIMME SOME OVEN
ROSE'S FAMOUS CARAMEL CAKE RECIPE - (4.1/5)
FIVE ROSES WHITE CAKE - RECIPES | COOKS.COM
ROSE CAKE | ROSE COOKIES RECIPE | EASY ROSE CAKE RECIPE ...
A FAVOURITE CHRISTMAS CAKE – VINTAGE COOKBOOK SHELF
APPLE-ROSE CAKE RECIPE - CORTNEY BURNS | FOOD & WINE
FIVE ROSES WHITE CAKE - RECIPES | COOKS.COM
VANILLA CAKE WITH ROSE BUTTERCREAM RECIPE - LOVEFOOD.COM
CHOCOLATE ROSE CAKE :: HOME COOKING ADVENTURE
ROSE’S FAMOUS CARAMEL CAKE - SAVEUR: AUTHENTIC RECIPES ...
ROSE'S FAVORITE YELLOW LAYER CAKE - BIGOVEN.COM
SEVERAL EDITIONS OF THE FIVE ROSES COOKBOOK – VINTAGE ...
38 EASY CHRISTMAS CAKE IDEAS, DECORATIONS AND DESIGNS ...
GRANDMA ROSA’S APPLE CAKE - LIDIA
ALMOND SUGEE CAKE RECIPE FROM ROSE’S KITCHEN – BEST ...
HOW TO MAKE APPLE ROSES - TASTE OF HOME: FIND RECIPES ...
GRANDMA ROSE'S BOOK OF SINFULLY DELICIOUS CAKES, COOKIES ...
CHERRY CAKE WITH MARZIPAN ROSES RECIPE - CHATELAINE.COM