JERK CHICKEN WITH RICE & PEAS RECIPE | BBC GOOD FOOD
The Jamaican marinade has many versions, but John Torode likes his super spicy with a dash of soy. Serve with coconut basmati rice
Provided by John Torode
Categories Dinner, Main course
Total Time 1 hours 10 minutes
Prep Time 25 minutes
Cook Time 45 minutes
Number Of Ingredients 21
- To make the jerk marinade, combine the spring onions, ginger, garlic, onion, scotch bonnet chillies, dried thyme, lime juice, soy sauce, vegetable oil, brown sugar and ground allspice in a food processor along with 1 tsp salt, and blend to a purée. If you’re having trouble getting it to blend, just keep turning off the blender, stirring the mixture, and trying again. Eventually it will start to blend up – don’t be tempted to add water, as you want a thick paste.
- Taste the jerk mixture for seasoning – it should taste pretty salty, but not unpleasantly, puckering salty. You can now throw in more chillies if it’s not spicy enough for you. If it tastes too salty and sour, try adding in a bit more brown sugar until the mixture tastes well balanced.
- Make a few slashes in 12 chicken thighs and pour the marinade over the meat, rubbing it into all the crevices. Cover and leave to marinate overnight in the fridge.
- If you want to barbecue your chicken, get the coals burning 1 hr or so before you’re ready to cook. Authentic jerked meats are not exactly grilled as we think of grilling, but sort of smoke-grilled. To get a more authentic jerk experience, add some wood chips to your barbecue, and cook your chicken over slow, indirect heat for 30 mins.
- To cook in the oven, heat to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Put the chicken pieces in a roasting tin with the halved lime and cook for 45 mins until tender and cooked through.
- While the chicken is cooking, prepare the rice & peas. Rinse the basmati rice in plenty of cold water, then tip it into a large saucepan. Add the coconut milk, spring onions, thyme sprigs, garlic and ground allspice.
- Season with salt, add 300ml cold water and set over a high heat. Once the rice begins to boil, turn it down to a medium heat, cover and cook for 10 mins. Add the kidney beans to the rice, then cover with a lid. Leave off the heat for 5 mins until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Squeeze the roasted lime over the chicken and serve with the rice & peas, and some hot sauce if you like it really spicy.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 757 calories, FatContent 43 grams fat, SaturatedFatContent 18 grams saturated fat, CarbohydrateContent 48 grams carbohydrates, SugarContent 14 grams sugar, FiberContent 6 grams fiber, ProteinContent 38 grams protein, SodiumContent 2.6 milligram of sodium
CHICKEN WITH RICE & PEAS RECIPE | BBC GOOD FOOD
When hunger strikes this healthy chicken with rice and peas dish will not only fill you up but provide plenty of nutrients, too, containing three of your five-a-day
Provided by Good Food team
Total Time 45 minutes
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Number Of Ingredients 16
- Heat the oil in a very large non-stick frying pan and cook the onions for 5 mins or until soft. Meanwhile, coat the chicken thoroughly with the thyme, curry powder and allspice. Add to the pan and briefly brown the chicken, then tip in the tomatoes, chilli, garlic and bouillon. Pour over 450ml water, cover and simmer for 30 mins or until the chicken is tender.
- Meanwhile, tip the rice into a medium-sized pan with the onion, garlic, thyme and bouillon. Pour in 600ml water, cover and cook for 25 mins or until the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is tender. Check toward the end of the cooking time to ensure it isn’t starting to catch on the pan. Stir in the beans and heat through. If you're following our Healthy Diet Plan, serve half the rice with half the chicken (saving the leftovers for a second meal later in the week). Otherwise you can serve four portions, scattered with a few extra thyme leaves, if you like.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 571 calories, FatContent 18 grams fat, SaturatedFatContent 4 grams saturated fat, CarbohydrateContent 48 grams carbohydrates, SugarContent 11 grams sugar, FiberContent 10 grams fiber, ProteinContent 49 grams protein, SodiumContent 0.5 milligram of sodium
7 EASY RICE RECIPES (STOVE TOP & RICE COOKER) - SWEET PEAS ...
JAMAICAN RICE AND PEAS RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
CHICKEN AND BROWN RICE RECIPE | MARTHA STEWART
BLACK-EYED PEAS AND RICE WITH ANDOUILLE SAUSAGE RECIPE ...
VEGAN FRIED RICE | MINIMALIST BAKER RECIPES
BROWN RICE RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
20 DELICIOUS WAYS TO EAT BROWN RICE | MARTHA STEWART
SPANISH BROWN RICE RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
ARROZ CON GANDULES (PUERTO RICAN RICE WITH PIGEON PEAS ...
MEXICAN BROWN RICE RECIPE - COOKIE AND KATE
HOPPIN' JOHN -- RICE AND BLACK-EYED PEAS RECIPE - FOOD.COM
25 EASY LEFTOVER RICE RECIPES – THE KITCHEN COMMUNITY
VEGAN FRIED RICE | MINIMALIST BAKER RECIPES