APPLE PIE RECIPE: HOW TO MAKE IT - TASTE OF HOME
I remember coming home sullen one day because we'd lost a softball game. Grandma, in her wisdom, suggested, "Maybe a slice of my homemade apple pie will make you feel better." One bite, and Grandma was right. If you want to learn how to make homemade apple pie filling, this is really the only recipe you need. —Maggie Greene, Granite Falls, Washington
Provided by Taste of Home
Total Time 01 hours 05 minutes
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 45 minutes
Yield 8 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Preheat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, roll half of the dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. In a small bowl, combine sugars, flour and spices. In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice. Add sugar mixture; toss to coat. Add filling; dot with butter. , Roll remaining dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edge. Cut slits in top. Beat egg white until foamy; brush over crust. If desired, sprinkle with turbinado sugar and ground cinnamon. Cover edge loosely with foil. , Bake 25 minutes. Remove foil; bake until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly, 20-25 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack. If desired, serve with ice cream and caramel sauce.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 467 calories, FatContent 25g fat (15g saturated fat), CholesterolContent 64mg cholesterol, SodiumContent 331mg sodium, CarbohydrateContent 58g carbohydrate (26g sugars, FiberContent 2g fiber), ProteinContent 5g protein.
CLASSIC APPLE PIE RECIPE - FOOD NETWORK
- Peel and core the apples; slice 1/4 inch thick. Transfer to a bowl and toss with the granulated sugar and lemon juice. Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the apples and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 12 to 15 minutes. Add the flour, cinnamon and salt and stir until the juices thicken, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool completely. (The filling can be made up to 2 days ahead; cover and refrigerate.)
- Roll out 1 disk of dough into a 12-inch round on a lightly floured surface. Ease into a 9-inch pie plate. Add the cooled filling and dot with the remaining 2 tablespoons butter.
- Roll out the remaining disk of dough into a 12-inch round. Lay the dough over the filling and press the two crusts together around the edges. Fold the overhanging dough under itself and crimp with your fingers. Brush the top crust with the beaten egg and sprinkle with coarse sugar. Cut a few slits in the top crust to let steam escape. Chill 1 hour.
- Put a baking sheet on the bottom oven rack and preheat to 425 degrees F for at least 30 minutes. Put the pie directly on the hot baking sheet and reduce the oven temperature to 375 degrees F; bake until the pie is golden and the filling is bubbly, 1 hour to 1 hour, 10 minutes, rotating the pie as needed. (Cover the edges with foil if they are browning too quickly.) Transfer to a rack and let cool until the filling is set, about 3 hours.
- Pulse the flour, shortening, sugar, vinegar and salt in a food processor until it looks like fine meal. Add the butter and pulse until it is in pea-size pieces. Sprinkle in 1/4 cup ice water and pulse until the dough begins to come together. Pinch the dough with your fingers; if it doesn't hold together, add up to 4 more tablespoons ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, and pulse again.
- Divide the dough between 2 sheets of plastic wrap and pat each into a disk. Wrap tightly and refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour or preferably overnight, or freeze up to 2 months.
APPLE PIE - WIKIPEDIA
APPLE PIE - KING ARTHUR BAKING
APPLE CRUMBLE PIE - SALLY'S BAKING ADDICTION
APPLE PIE II RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
APPLE SLAB PIE RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
APPLE SLICE SQUARES RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
APPLE RECIPES | ALLRECIPES