Making spicy tuna rolls is a favorite dish for everyone in all America, you will find them in any sushi restaurant menu. It is usually made with Nori dried seaweed and filled with special sushi rice and seasoned sushi-grade tuna or sashimi. When eating raw fish, you must buy the good quality fish that you find available. Inspection of the fish is recommended first, the best fish receives a “grade 1” and is often labeled “sushi grade.” The Japanese name for this type of bluefin tuna, the most common sushi tuna is maguro.
Make sure you buy it from a reputable site, and if it doesn’t smell or look good, don’t buy it. Use only fresh fish to make your spicy tuna rolls as soon as possible after purchase.
One of the condiments that makes the tuna take on a spicy essence is shichimi togarashi, which can be translated as “chili of a flavor” and this consists only of ground red chili. It’s a mild spice, similar to chipotle, and adds a nice extra kick, without being overwhelmed. If you use Ichimi togarashi it is not only ideal to flavor your spicy tuna rolls, but it is also very delicious when you use it in other preparations such as scrambled eggs.
That is why today we show you the simplest way to prepare spicy tuna hand rolls from home, and that they are delicious and surprise everyone, perhaps later when you master this recipe you can prepare another version like a crunchy spicy tuna roll.
Doubts about the recipe:
Is the spicy tuna roll eaten raw?
A spicy tuna roll is a popular type of rolled sushi cuisine, which includes fresh tuna, which is raw along with a spicy preparation with cream cheese and spicy sauce, as well as other elements that accompany it, such as rice. sushi and nori seaweed. The tuna is very fresh and must always be of high quality, which can be eaten raw and is not cooked before serving the dish, although there are other versions of the dish where it is cooked, as in the case of the crunchy spicy tuna roll.
What type of tuna is used in sushi?
This depends on the person, but various types of tuna are used in sushi rolls. The most used is bluefin tuna, albacore, and yellowfin tuna, and albacore, they are the most common types found in spicy tuna roll dishes and any similar sushi dish. The most important thing is that the fish is always fresh and of very high quality.
Tricks to prepare a good rice for your spicy tuna roll recipe:
- When you go to prepare a rice for sushi, you will need short-grain rice, usually, some brands indicate that it is special rice for sushi, you will also need a good special vinegar spicy tuna roll
- First of all, always remember to wash short-grain rice before cooking with cold water until all excess starch is removed, repeat the process until the water runs clear.
- Next, add the same proportion of water as the amount of rice in the pot and heat it properly. When it starts to boil, lower the heat to low and cover with the lid.
- You must cook the rice for 15 minutes, after completing the time, turn off the heat and let it rest properly covered for 5 minutes.
- Remember to put the rice in a container and let it warm. When it can be handled with your hands, add two tablespoons of sushi vinegar and mix well. In the end, with the help of a fan, vent while mixing everything; then reserve it somewhere.
- Remember to serve the homemade spicy tuna rolls with some pickled ginger, wasabi and have soy sauce and black vinegar to soak. For a light meal, serve with edamame or some seaweed salad.
Here we leave you a delicious spicy tuna roll recipe
Ingredients for your spicy tuna roll
– 1/2 sheet of nori seaweed
– 50 g of bluefin tuna
– 30 g of cucumbers
– 1 tablespoon Philadelphia cream cheese
– A Whole avocado
– 1 spoon of special sriracha sauce
– 120 g of cooked sushi rice properly seasoned
– 1 tablespoon of your favorite wasabi
– 1 tablespoon ginger or serve to taste
– 1 tablespoon toasted sesame
– 1 teaspoon of shichimi or, failing that, Japanese pepper
– 3 tablespoons soy sauce
Preparing your spicy tuna roll
- As a first step, we will start by cutting the bluefin tuna into 1 cm thick strips and then chop it into dice, then store it all in a bowl in the fridge
- Peel and cut the avocado into small slices and then into squares. Take out the tuna again and join it with the avocado. Then pour the sriracha sauce, together with the cream cheese, and mix so that everything comes together well.
- Next, with the help of a special bamboo mat for sushi, and on top, in the lower part, place the half sheet of nori-type seaweed. Then you wet your hands with water and begin to pat them to remove the excess. Add and spread the rice over the entire surface of the seaweed sheet and add the sesame seeds together with the Japanese pepper or shichimi all over the rice area.
- Close the bamboo special mat, only halfway and you will turn the whole set over so that the algae is on the outside.
- Right in the center of the seaweed, you will add the mixture of your tuna and cream cheese. You will roll with the help of your mat until you get a perfect uramaki.
- Wash and cut the cucumber into thin julienne strips, wait until you use it on the roll.
- You must cut the uramaki into 8 rolls and top with the cucumber, which was cut previously, serve with ginger and wasabi; You can also accompany your spicy tuna hand roll with a bowl of soy sauce to soak.