Chicken nachos are a Mexican dish made from tortilla chips topped with chicken, salsa, cheese, and other ingredients. They are perfect as an appetizer or as a small snack. Many people would agree that they taste great to those who enjoy spicy foods. Chicken nachos can also be served with sour cream and guacamole.
I first tried this dish at my friend’s place, and I fell in love with it instantly! My mother is always looking for new recipes, so we decided to try this one out for ourselves, and we were not disappointed!
Everyone loves a bit of chicken nachos. So today, we’re going over some tips to make chicken nachos. We will cover things like what you need, how to put it together, and different variations.
Nachos are a great way to add a little extra in your next gaming session or a lunch/dinner break when playing board games with friends or any other occasion. They’re easy to make with very few ingredients and only take 20 minutes from start to finish.
Chicken Nachos Recipe
What You’ll Need:
To make about 12-16 decent sized Chicken Nachos, you will need the following for this chicken nachos recipe:
- 2-3 chicken breasts (it doesn’t matter if they are frozen).
- A can of jalapeno peppers (optional- if you like a bit more kick).
- 1 onion.
- 1 pack of corn nachos (or tortilla chips).
- 2 packets of grated cheese (taco or Mexican style).
- And your favorite salsa.
Preparation: To make this even easier, I like to pre-cut my chicken into about 4cm cubes and put them in a freezer bag before they go into the freezer. That way, when I’m ready to throw them in with the onion etc., it is as simple as throw and go!
Another tip; I cut up my onions into those little strips that come out of an onion chopper and put them straight in the pan with the chicken, so they cook together.
How to Make:
- Put a frying pan on the stove with about 1cm of oil in it and turn up high. If you include jalapeno peppers, chop them into small circles and add to the oil when hot.
- Cut chicken into cubes and add to the pan along with onion (and Jalapenos if using).
- Once the chicken has turned white, add salsa (or your favorite type of sauce).
- Keep stirring while cooking until meat is tender (usually about 10 minutes).
- After 10 minutes or once desired tenderness is reached, remove chicken/onion mixture onto a plate and throw in nachos (I like to put mine directly into the microwave for 30 seconds, so they get nice & crispy).
- Throw the chicken mixture on top of the nachos and add your favorite grated cheese (if you like a bit of heat, try adding shredded Mexican cheese at this stage).
- Put in microwave for about 5 minutes or until cheese is bubbling hot.
- Once out of the microwave, grab some sour cream, guacamole, jalapenos, etc., to decorate.
BBQ Chicken Nachos
This bbq chicken nachos recipe has made it to my dinner party menu. It is the perfect addition for any society soiree or family night at home with friends and beer. Good luck finding someone not fond of this goodie!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (cut into thin strips).
- 2 cloves garlic (minced).
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger powder.
- 1 red onion (thinly sliced).
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce.
- Divided 3 tablespoons rice vinegar.
- 4 ounces cream cheese.
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese.
- 24 baked tortilla chips.
- 1 jar pickled jalapenos.
- 3 green onions, chopped.
- In a small skillet over medium heat, cook chicken until slightly brown, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add garlic, ginger powder, onion, 1/4 cup barbecue sauce, and vinegar, and cook until onions are translucent.
- Remove from heat and stir in cream cheese until melted.
- Pour mixture into a 9×13 baking dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Top evenly with cheddar cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- Slice green onions for garnish when nachos are done baking if desired.
- Serve chicken over tortilla chips.
- Drizzle on remaining barbeque sauce and top with green onions and pickled jalapenos!
Shredded Chicken Nachos
I’m always experimenting with new recipes to try and eat healthier. Sometimes I go over the top; other times, I hit it right on the mark. This is one of those instances.
I first had shredded chicken nachos at a restaurant and loved them! When I saw this recipe online, I immediately knew that I would cook it this week! Chicken nachos are extremely easy to make, and you can also customize it for who likes or doesn’t like what is on their food. You can substitute beans for ground beef or leave out both entirely if you want a vegetarian version, too!
- 1 – 2 lbs of chicken breast (boneless/skinless) diced up.
- 2 medium tomatoes diced up (or 1 cup of salsa).
- 3 tablespoons cumin (depending on how much you like it).
- 2 teaspoons salt.
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- 1 – 2 cups shredded Colby jack cheese (I used one cup, and they were fine, but I’ll use two next time.)
- If using raw chicken breast: fry in a pan over medium heat for about 10 minutes. If using pre-cooked chicken, skip this step and move to the shredding process.
- Once cooked, place in a bowl and add the cumin, salt, and pepper.
- Shred with two forks or your hands until there are no more big chunks. Add tomatoes or salsa mix together thoroughly.
- Pour into a baking dish that has been sprayed lightly with cooking spray. Add the desired amount of cheese and bake at 450 degrees for about 15 minutes (until cheese is melted).
- Use any ingredients you like in your nachos! The sky’s the limit! There are no rules here, only deliciousness! You can even be creative and mold it into shapes like hearts or flowers like what they do with ice cream cakes to surprise someone special on their birthday.
- Add anything you want to make this recipe better; more flavors, colors, nutrients. This will also depend on what kind of dish you’ll use to serve it but try adding black beans because it will add flavor and texture to your nachos.
For cheese sauce or any other recipe, you can follow the original recipe’s instructions, but remember that if it’s not tested by you yet, adjust seasoning or ingredients according to your preference so it won’t turn out bad. This is why I still prefer making my own food than eating outside because of this reason.
- For added flavor, choose a salsa that goes well with what kind of chicken nachos you’re making so all flavors will be distributed evenly without overshadowing each other.
Now all that’s left to do is sit back and enjoy! I hope you enjoyed it and found these tips useful.